Problims with my nitrate level

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Hackem688, Sep 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Nitrates are a must all healthy tanks produce them as they are the last Gas produced in the nitrogen cycle . People that claim they do not have any issues with them and many don't I my self never had any issues with them But most who say there is not a problem have very light animal loads do massive regular water changes and very up scale skimmers and work on keeping their tanks as pristine as they can be kept or DSB and lots of Rock.
    I on the other hand I'am just lazy and not a huge fan of the work side of the hobby. After working in it all day long I do not want to come home and do more.
    Also Tangs will stress really fast when exposed to high No3 problems hence the Ich magnet term you hear about all the time and why many can not keep them very well. Like the Moorish idols not that difficult to keep really. The main problem with them is any NO3 that is detectable will kill them .

Reason most call Bio Balls NO3 factories is they do not understand the nitrogen process all that well . If you do not get Nitrates the process is not being completed and thats why the Bio balls get a bad rap is that the are very efficient at braking the rally Killer gasses down . The Nitrates have to be filtered out or broken down like phosphates.
    This is why I have always ran a coil a wet dry and a coil will allow you far more oxygen in the water to allow for less stress of tangs and harder to keep fish . And I'd rather have the dissolved O2 and deal with the nitrates myself..
    Maybe that's why I always have been able to keep tangs and the more difficult fish and not mess with water changes and worry about over feeding But I do run a good skimmer :) But the coil handles the NO3 just like my PO4 reactor handles the phosphates. Why not simply build or buy a coil and forget about this problem and move on to a different issue or not ? Good luck

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

I was planning to build a coil this month with info I found on 3reef. I also would like to thank you for taking the time to explain all that K+ but the fact still exists that my testing stated 20 -20 - 50+ - 50+ which Leeds me to think its a cycle and will come back down. I have 2 large tangs and 4 fire shrimps cleaning them on the regular plus stress coat is a big help. My error was when I upgraded my tang the size was incorrect. This caused me to mix to much new water like 50%. Error 2 I cleaned all my gravel before putting it in the new tank. Error 3 still in the 6 week window I added 75lbs or LR. Now I just set up my fuge. I just think I asked to much of my water and am paying the price.

4. railroader46

railroader46 Skunk Shrimp

you should always use as much water out of the old tank as possible, as well as unrinsed sand out of the old tank. IMO I would only use base rock when adding to a established tank not cured.