Problims with my nitrate level

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Hackem688, Sep 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

In order to get those nitrates down to 0 IMO you will need a fuge or a denitrator. Whether it be algae or bacteria, you will need something that feeds of the NO3. Otherwise, just keep the levels down with regular water changes (which you probably do anyway). I don't think you need a BIG water change with a level of 20. In the grand scheme of things, that is not bad. At the beginning of my adventure, I let my nitrates get to 100. Now, that was big water change range. Once it was down to 20, I was not able to get them down lower. I have a denitrator that I just started curing and I am getting my fuge going this weekend. A fuge will also help lower your phosphate levels.

2. Click Here!

3. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

Thats not bad I do have a fuge and im adding sone mud and macros today

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

There you go. Just watch the nitrates drop.

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

With nitrites being measured I also suspect your cycle is not complete. With the addition of your new Rock odds are a mini cycle started. I would be more concerned about the nitrite levels than the Nitrate levels. Also IMO you SG is low. I shoot for 35ppm or 1.026

J

6. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

will ajust it today also

7. nosense

nosense Plankton

Get rid of the bio balls. Just remove a handfull every other week until their gone. I see you have a fuge.Whats in it? replace the bio-balls with some LR rubble. IMO looks like your bioload is too small to have your nitrates that high.Cut back on your feeding a little and let them settle.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

I only feed once a day in the morning an amount that is gone in 30sec or less as far as LR I have like 30lbs in the sump and 120 in the tank. The fuge im setting up today will post info when its done

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I dont know why ppl think that BB cause No3 or are No3 factories. LR will accumalate the same detritus as BB's. I have had BB all my reefer life and know of ppl who have had them for 15+ yrs(without washing them) and have no issues. I think that ppl hear the story about BB's and just repeat what they hear. When I exchanged out my sump/refugium last month, I got rid of 90% of the BB's and My No3 havent changed. Thats a myth. Luna

11. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

I i have determended that my tank is at the end of a quick cycle tue to water change and adding 75lbs of LR what do you think luna

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

How long has your tank been up and running? Luna