problems...

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by msclown67, Oct 26, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. msclown67

msclown67 Plankton

I am trying to change my tanks as i was switching everything over i got to the rocks and coral and i found worms in the crushed coral I dont know what to do or if these things are harmful to the tank I had to stop temporarily till I find out what it will do to the new tank please help as i need to try to get this changed over tonite so my fish will not be in harm I looked it up on the internet and what I found best that it looks like is nephtyis hombergii I think thats what it is please help asap. thank you, cathy

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. bulltrader

bulltrader Bristle Worm

Well they must have been in your old tank so I don't think they will hurt your fish. Would be best to get rid of them but apart from curing your rock, which will take days, I don't think you can do anything tonight. Once you have properly identified what they are you can find a criter that will eat them, maybe a brittle star. Best I can do for you if you want to do the move tonight. A picture might help if you can post one.

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

all tanks have those worms. If you look from under your tank with a flash light, you'll see all the worms and the trails they leave. From my understanding, they are safe and even beneficial. wait around for the experts. Luna

5. msclown67

msclown67 Plankton

I looked the worm up and I found one that looks just like it it was in the annelids (polychaetes)

cathy

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

so what did it say? is it safe or not:confused:

7. msclown67

msclown67 Plankton

worm problem

it didnt say if it was safe or not it was only giving me pics of different worms and i found the one that looks just like it it just said that its a marine worm and it hides under sand and stuff this is the first time we ever noticed them

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

more than likely its a bristle worm, if its flat hairy reddish pick and they are reef safe. some people dont like them since they can get upto 20cm long and sting sometimes but are good detrivours. if its nephtys hombergii there from ireland and britian and are called cat worms. so if you got you sand from there, thats what they are. if thats the case goto either Basic information for Nephtys hombergii (A catworm) or SpringerLink - Journal Article to due some more research.

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

more then likely its this..(see pic)..The most common bristle worm found in aquariums. They are detrivores and like to bore holes in your rocks which is also beneficial by making your rocks more porous. Typically reddish/pinkish and blue.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.