Problems with Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by wfb2270, Feb 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Long story but:

I recently moved my tank (about 3 weeks now). I am experciencing a lot of cyano in my tank. i set the tank up new about a year ago. I originaly used IO salt and switched and went through about 2 200 (or 250) buckets of Tropic Marine Pro reef.

Phospates using API test kit appear to be zero...maybe .25. Nitrates are still zero/undectable.

When i moved the tank I had to use about 55 gallons of new mixed water (TMPR). I got lazy with testing ALK/CA the last few months before the move and lost some coral. (still never any cyano). Tested my water change water for the first time ever and found that the ALK was only 130ish ppm ALK (using Hanna Checker). So in doing some research on Tropic Marin Pro Reef i found that if you are not experiencing creeping alk levels from use of a CA reactor or Kalk reactor then TMPR is not for you.

Anyways also noticed some complaints of cyano and film algae. (i am expericening both) with Trop marin.

My refigium had to be "re-started" in the move. plus also cleaned out half a bucket full of overgron halmedia. Is it possible that my system "cleaned" out some of the nutirents from the salt as i was doing water changes before and now with a new system its unable to keep up??

thanks to anyone who has read this far;D

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

wfb2270

I think that your explanation is very plausible

in that doing 5% or 10% water changes weekly on a system with controlled nutrient levels meant that any new organics added by water changes of that nature, where rapidly processed

but when you needed to make a very large water change due to the move the massive injection of new organics has caused a back log in the processing of them

Steve