Problems With Odyssea Fixture and Aquatraders.com

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by mikejamesnelson, Sep 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejamesnelson

mikejamesnelson Plankton

OK guys and gals, A few months ago I decided that it was time to upgrade my lighting. I looked around at lots of different options, but being low on cash the Odyssea fixtures caught my eye. I began to do some research on them, not finding a lot about them other than some mixed reviews on some of the forums. I had heard rumors of these fixtures possibly starting fires, comments about how crummy the bulbs are, LED moon lights that do not last, and crappy reflectors. I ignored these posts, because well... Im cheap.

So i purchased a new 48" T5 Odyssea 4x54 watt fixture from Aquatraders.com. That was mistake #1. More on them later. I received the light and immediately rushed to assemble it and get it on the tank. After unwrapping and plugging in the fixture, i set it on the tank. The design of the fixture is so crummy that I couldn't even set the fixture on the tank properly. It almost always slides off. Ok, it was cheap, i can live with this... Next thing that I noticed is that the fixture gets extremely hot, and without a fan on it, it is almost untouchable in a few minuets.

Yep the other people who have discussed this had commented on how crappy the bulbs were, and I have to agree. They are GARBAGE!!! So I replaced the bulbs with some new ATI Bulbs, no big deal, I guess, but now this cheap fixture is costing me more money. $100 for the fixture and $85 in new bulbs. Ok so im in the fixture for $180, not to bad. I use the fixture everyday for the next two months without problems.

Last week when i was getting ready to leave for work, I noticed a weird smell, I walked over to my tank, and noticed that the light was flickering. I opened the tank stand, and it was filled with smoke! The ballast was smoking and sparking! I quickly unplugged the ballast and disconnected it from the light. Well this sucks, but I have heard some people having problems with the ballasts. So i continued to run the fixture for a few days on the one ballast, making it a two bulb fixture. No big deal, Ill order a new ballast when I get some spare $$$.

So a few days ago, I came home from work, and as soon as I walk in the door, I can smell smoke. I rushed over the the tank, and the fixture is flickering again, and smoke is coming from the stand. now I have no light.

I contacted Aquatraders.com via their message system. After not getting a response for a day I e-mailed again. This time I received a e-mail back letting me know that they only cover the fixtures for 30 days! 30 days?!?!? really??? I guess I should have read their return policy, but 30 days? That should have been a red flag. I e-mailed them back letting them know that I have had the fixture for a little over three months, and not one, but both of the ballasts have gone bad. they responded with a copy of their return policy, and informed me that I could request a RMA# for the ballasts. Here is the catch though, Aquatraders wants to charge me a $40 processing fee, and that the only way that they would accept the $40 is through a money order only. Hmmm

So here is what i have learned:
    1) If it seems to be too good to be true, it is.
    2) These fixtures are garbage
    3) If you do purchase one, it will end up costing you more money
    4) Aquatraders.com is a untrustworthy site, that does not stand behind their product, not to mention, rude and unhelpful.

So if you are considering ordering one of these fixtures, my advice is do not, I may have lost some money, but it could have been a lot worse, I could have lost my hose.

I hope this helps others from making the same mistakes... DO NOT BUY THESE FIXTURES

2. Click Here!

3. pete33

pete33 Astrea Snail

I thought about getting one (250 MH w/T5's). But, after searching reviews decided to go with a better build unit. Most of the time you do get what you pay for. Sorry to hear about your unit. Seems these things are hit or miss.

4. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

sorry to hear about the bad luck. I similarly tried to contact the "help" line and through E mail and have yet to recive any sort of reply. the parts by the way are almost impossiable to get ahold of, I have tried.

BTW Sparking and smoking are never good much less when there is water under it :p

5. Joeogio

Joeogio Plankton

hate you had problems with yours i have 3 of their fixtures 2 of the 18" halide pendants and a 4x39w 36" t5 fixture the t5 fixture has been running a year and the pendants maybe 8 months. the only problem i have had is the leds in the halides burnt out twice! lol. but to hear about your ballasts smoking scares me. i will be upgrading soon when the $$$ is right

6. SPINNER

SPINNER Fire Shrimp

The only way to stop venders like this is not to buy their products.....but hobbest like you even though you had read many times they are crap you still bought one. Now you post a thread saying the same things you read before buying.
    I hope someone doesn't have to die in a house fire before those trash products are removed from the market. Sorry about your lose but you are lucky you lived to post about it:)

7. Pool/BeachParty

Pool/BeachParty Plankton

Well, think god I was home. I was sitting in the family room, and started to hear a sound. It sounded like someone shaking a can full of marbles. I went to where the sound was coming from, to discover white smoke rising from behind my aquarium. The black box that is part of the electrical cord for my 48" T5 Odyssea light was just smoking and filling the room up.
    I have owned this light for 2-3 years. And again, thank god I was home. This could have been very bad for my home and me and my 2 cats. I will now put this light and the other one on my 35 gallon tank into the trash.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Thread is from 2012 but we appreciate the warning.:)

DSC reef and Mr. Bill like this.
  10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Thread is from 2012, plus you've owned yours for 2 - 3 years. It's my understanding that Odyssea has since corrected the problem.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.