problems with my new planted tank

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by LCP136, Jul 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. N3MATOCYST

N3MATOCYST Spaghetti Worm

IME from selling tons of FW plant tank set-ups in my old store and doing tank setup/maintenance, introducing plants into aquarium water where the ammonia levels are elevated WILL burn the plants... I have burned them myself. :p

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Just an update, everything is still alive, and the fish are looking less stressed. The numbers are coming down, so hopefully I can keep moving in the right direction.

4. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

on my 5.5 gallon we got a filter for up to 20 gallons. very clean and sparkly. :)
    Hope everybody pulls though, Good Luck!

5. fishdoctors96

fishdoctors96 Astrea Snail

Stability works but is not as strong as Bacter Vital or Bacter Boost we use those two at our store and recomend those more, but the fish will have a very low chance in surving in ammonia even with plants helping the nitrogen cycle.

6. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Update: Everyone is still alive, so I think my test kits may have been faulty. Long story short, I did an ammonia test on my reef, which I know is ammonia free, and it read .5ppm ammonia, so I tossed that kit. There's no ammonia in the tank anymore, although the nitrite kit read 0 on my reef and still registered some nitrites on the planted tank. However, it doesn't make sense that there would be nitrites and that there would be no symptoms whatsoever in my 6 harlequin rasboras, platty, and 2 siamese algae eaters, so I'm not sure if there actually are nitrites. I'll get a second opinion from the LFS.