Problem with my Tang

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Jim_Barry, Nov 29, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I would qt the fish and medicate. It's not that food will not fatten him up but the illness that makes him weak. You can fatten him up but you still have the illness and this could spread to other tank mates.
    IMO I would not treat the main tank and risk my fish and corals on a marketing slogan that it's safe to use in the main tank but thats just me.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Jim,

Hey not to rain on your parade or bash you here, but in looking at your tank and the fact that it is only two months old it appears you are adding way too much livestock too soon.  This leads me to believe that your tank has not properly matured and this fish situation is a water quality issue.

As Nautilus said, it would be great if you could quarantine the fish and then properly medicate.  I would not add any more livestock for a month or two.  This will give your tank a chance to properly stabilize and mature and for your water parameters to balance out.

Good luck and let's hope for the best.  As Matt Rogers says in is signature, "Go slow, and let it grow".

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Keep me posted please

5. Jim_Barry

Jim_Barry Astrea Snail

Hi.... I was told by the LFS that this is probably "black spot". I purchased a medicine that eliminates flukes and fish lice. I have prepared a freshwater dip with the medication and have spent the last 3 frustrating hours trying to catch the fish. I have tried food, patience etc. and no luck. The fish is very timid. I am not prepared to take all the corals and live rock out to catch this fish..... any ideas??

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Last time I had to catch a tang, I had to take all the rock out. :-X

Maybe you can put some food in the net and leave it in there for a while and see if he bites, then pull it up. Or get a fish trap. I posted a link to one here once if you do a search.

7. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

$.02-- I have used Melafix in my main tank without adverse reaction to the in habitants, I have also used Greenex with no drawbacks.I prefer qt tank the best. I also agree with Craig too much too fast= stress, disease, tank crashes and death. please slow down. Another thought with Tangs do you have any stray current in the tank (power heads and such)? you might want to add a grounding probe to your tank I have seen it help with lateral line in tangs. With a new tank with a large bioload and lttle cycle time you may have fish present multplie diseases and symptoms. good luck

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

[quote author=Phil5613 link=board=Newbie;num=1070124333;start=15#15 date=12/03/03 at 18:07:07]I have used Melafix in my main tank without adverse reaction to the in habitants, [/quote]

My Carpenter's wrasse had a white fungus and I used Melafix with good results. Follow the instructions and make sure you turn off your skimmer.

10. Jim_Barry

Jim_Barry Astrea Snail

Thx... I will try the Melafix and will let you know. I bought a cleaner shrimp yesterday to help out. The tang spends a good part of the day getting cleaned. Is there a chance that the shrimp can fix the problem?

11. Craig Manoukian

The Red Skunk Cleaner Shrimp will remove parasites. They are better in prevention than cure, but wiil help the tang's immuno system fight of this disease. Good luck and keep us posted.

12. Jim_Barry

Jim_Barry Astrea Snail

GOOD NEWS !!

It looks like my Tang is going to recover......

I starting feeding it vitamins, bought a cleaner shrimp, and treated the aquarium with Melafix for 2 days and it looks like the brown patches and dots have almost disappeared. The tang is eating well and is very active.

Attached is a picture of the tang today. It is still early to tell for sure, but I am encouraged by its recovery.

Thanks, for everone's input !!

The only bad news is, the shrimp died after 3 days. Other than that, everything in the tank is doing very well.
    I am not going to add any additional corals or fish until mid January.

Thanks again,

Jim :)

Attached Files: