Problem with leather and Xenia

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by catdancr6, Nov 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. catdancr6

catdancr6 Astrea Snail

Yes, I know that ONLY the water evaporates, not the salt. But top offs change the salinity quite a bit, (by dilution) so that's why I was confused.

I will make sure the salinity in the new water matches that of the tank during water changes.

2. Click Here!

3. catdancr6

catdancr6 Astrea Snail

That leather actually looks quite nice! That's how my last ones looked, but the one I have has never looked like that- and I can't figure out what else it might be besides a yellow leather.
    I'll see if I can get some clear pics of mine, and maybe you can tell me what it looks like.

4. catdancr6

catdancr6 Astrea Snail

Update

Well, I tested my tank, and all perameters are PERFECT. The water is just as healthy as can be. Salinity is currently at 1.022, and the Ph, Ni, Na and Am levels are at their lowest on the scale. Nitrate test doesn't even turn color in the water- it's clear.

I have added an airstone to increase O2 and I'm treating the tank with Boyd Chemi Clean. I dislike the idea of using ANY chemical in my tank, as I'm sure you guys do, but I'm a bit desperate at this point. I will be doing water changes more often, and adding a powerhead may help.

All I know is that I have to get a handle on this while the tank is SMALL... transferring anything to my 40g during any kind of breakout is NOT happening.

5. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Its actually a lot easier to handle a larger tank. I went from a 12 to a 20 long to a 30 now Im at a 55. I wish I had just started out big, but thats how you learn.
    Phosphates and Nitrates will test low to 0 as the algae/cyano is feeding from them.
    As long as you add flow, shorten your light cycle, lessen nutrients (food) and keep the water top notch, you'll beat it. Just try to pick it out as much as possible.

6. catdancr6

catdancr6 Astrea Snail

Yep, I'm SURE it's easier with a larger tank... more dilution, less concentration, the sump running, skimmer running, etc. is all going to make it easier. I'm just nervous, because this will be my FIRST attempt at a large reef tank... AND with SEAHORSES!! I must be friggin' NUTS.

Sorry I didn't answer your questionnaire on my tank- much of that I have to get at home, and our internet connection at home is AWFUL, so I don't even TRY to get online at home. I can answer most of your questions if you don't mind me getting back to you on the ones I can't answer right away? I'm gonna shorten my light cycle and I haven't fed in a few days. Everything except the yellow leather seems fine, and the Xenia looks like it's trying to come around. Specs to follow.

7. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

That's perfectly fine. Its from our ASAP section so if you ever have an emergency, you can copy it ans paste and just fill out what you are able to. As long as we have some specifics it really helps everyone be able to figure out the problem.

I personally cant wait to see your 40, especially with Seahorses! I absolutely adore seahorses.

8. Click Here!

9. catdancr6

catdancr6 Astrea Snail

Update

We're doing great after the treatment! Xenia is back to almost 100% of its potential beauty and health, but I think I'm going to lose the leather. Bummer. It never really looked that great, honestly. But now it seems to be disintegrating on the edges, and little white spines are visibly shedding. I added a powerhead near the leather in an attempt to revive it, but I think it's on its way out.
    I was really afraid to use antibiotics on my tank- I prefer the natural way to go, especially since I didn't want to "un-cycle" my tank. But, the cyano is completely gone (for now). Now I have to face my ultimate fear: plumbing my new tank and setting up the sump.