Problem with ich and no eating

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by jaar, Jan 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jaar

jaar Astrea Snail

Hi, im new i just got my tank finished like a month ago and i have 1 powder blue like 3 to 4", 1 yellow tang the same size, 2 damesels, 2 clowns, 1 worm and 1 green open brain.

My problem is that my powder blue got the ich, i dont really know how since i been having the temp constant and this tang was one of my first additions to my tank and he was very well for more than 2 weeks until now and i just looked at one of the clowns and looks like he is getting it too. I dont know what should i do.

Other problem is that my yellow tang since i bought it i never see him eating, i think if he wouldnt be eating he would be dead by now, but the thing is i never see him thats what gets me preaty worried. Right now he is just in one place of the tank and he looks like he wants to lay down and gets up with alot of difficulty.

I have plenty of live rock around 30 or so rocks the tests as of 1 hour ago is (ammonia 0), (nitrite 0), (nitrate 0) (ph around 8.3 or 8.4). I just added the aquac remora pro skimmer. I been giving veggies but they never eat from there.

The powder blue is always picking on the rocks, but the yellow tang is not. I been told to give my fish emerald entree but i dont want to since i was told also that is a very heavy pollutant to the tank, and after research i saw that it is a great pollutant. so PLEASE HELP:(

2. Click Here!

3. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

powder blues are really prone to ich. what size is the tank? tangs should really be kept solo unless you have a large tank. they are really sensistive to salinty changes. how long has the tank been set up for? the PB was the first fish added?

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

how big is your tank? That is a fairly large bioload to place in a tank that is only a month old. Your fish seems to be stressed and this can cause the ick to break out.

Post the size of your tank and add garlic to your food. What food are you currently feeding, what is the temp and what is the salinity of the tank.

Tangs will not go after veggies right away but when they do they will devour it. I give mine several sheets of seaweed or algea at least 3 times a week.

5. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

you can add garlic to the food to try to get them to eat. i would QT the fish if you could. never really had luck with tangs and ich.

6. jaar

jaar Astrea Snail

is a 72 gal. tank, the tank is been set up for 6 weeks the first 2 was on cycle and after that i got first the 2 damesels and a crab after that the powder blue, after that the yellow tang and the worm and then the brain.

7. jaar

jaar Astrea Snail

the temp is 77.5 and salinity of 1.024

8. Click Here!

9. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

slow down. what test kits are you using? do you test ur own water? i would find another LFS. thats alot of fish in a NEW tank. that would be my limit if the tank was a year old.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

powder blue tangs are highly prone to ick. Again seems a lot fast to be added even in a 72g but I know I have moved to fast also in the past....it is hard not to!I would not add anymore livestock for a while get some good frozen fish food...I personally prefer RODS as it has HUFA's, vitamins already added. Fish tend to go for that food as it has EVERYTHING in it. They have original and herbivore blends....might try the herbivore blend to start with.If you are not using RODS or a food that has HUFA and vitamins you will need to add that also. I use Selcon on days I dont feed Rods.You might go ahead and add a cleaner shrimp to your tank (I know I said no more livestock) but they do really well at helping the fish at least feel better IMO...which might lead them to eat more.Again, check your salinity and see where that is and get some good quality food. Add veggies or seaweed daily even if they dont eat it as they soon willgood luckedit: temp and salinity I just saw and looks good. Does the temp fluctuate at all during the day or night....is there a heater as often times when you turn off the lights the temp will drop

11. jaar

jaar Astrea Snail

thats what i think to but i got them because some oportunities i had from a friend working on a local aqua store. So should i get some out or just try to fix this and leave how it is.

12. jaar

jaar Astrea Snail

the temp will move around 1 or 2 degrees during night and day because of the lights. I was thinking on getting the cleaner shrimp but now i dont know. Should i first fix my problems or what should i do.