Problem with HOB filter

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Lady J, Sep 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

My HOB is so loud--I've taken it apart, cleaned the impeller, washed everything off and put it back together. You can hear it throughout the house. The only thing I can think of is that somehow the impeller isn't all the way down in the chamber yet water is still running strongly through it. Any ideas as it's driving me nuts.

Ok, I just took it apart again and put it back together. Now it's quiet and water is running through it but the biowheel now won't turn. OMG, this is such a simple contraption...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

fresh or salt water tank?

4. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Fresh---it's just one of those cheap little Marineland filters. I took it apart again and put it back together. The wheel is now turning but it's also loud again. Grrrr

My only guess is that the impeller isn't tightly placed thus it's vibrating. It's hard as hell to put it down in the chamber and make it fit snugly on the other piece. Or, I put it on the top piece and then try to get it down into the chamber---also difficult. Not sure how to fix this.

5. JBert

JBert Plankton

I've read that some of the impellers out there are noisy until some slime builds up and they quiet down.

6. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I've only had noise issues when I got sand down in the impellor area. From what it sounds like your impellor is sitting kanted, and hitting the edge. If you can get it to sit straight, and stop the noise, it most likely will build up a slime coat like JBert said and then the water will flow a little faster, helping the wheel flow smoothly. I always had issues with one wheel or the other rolling. IMO, so long as I got one to flow, the aerobic bacteria was still growing, and the system was working for what I needed.

7. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Thank you for your replies. I take it apart and rinse it every week or so, so I'm washing the slime off. Go figure! lol Won't the slime build up eventually ruin the impeller? However, I'm going to refrain from washing the gunk off and see how it goes. Also, it's very possible that some sand got down in that area, IDK.

I also believe the impeller is not sitting vertically straight. It's not magnetized so it doesn't 'suck' into position and it's almost impossible to see down into the chamber to get it straight. I hope I don't ruin it. Right now it's running quietly so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

FWIW, I'm not crazy about this type of filtration system but my knees are getting bad and working on a canister on the floor is a nightmare waiting to happen. So, I don't want to ruin this one.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. phoebrams

phoebrams Plankton

I'm glad all is well now with your HOB. All of the previous answer was right however if it does occur again maybe it needs replacement.

10. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Oh geez, I don't want to replace it. Even now it's running and I can hear it although it's not as loud as it was. Shouldn't it be running totally silent?

11. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

I'd get an aqueon filter if it stays loud. Marineland filters really are as cheaply made as their heaters, and the biowheel really doesn't do much. The tank istelf has MUCH more beneficial bacteria growing in the sand and wood/ornaments.

Or if your tank is very lightly stocked, you could possibly just get a weaker powerhead on ebay and not have to worry about cartridges.

12. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Yes, I wish I had started with an Aqueon---however, if I switched I don't know if I could keep the biowheel from the Marineland and use it in the Aqueaon and I certainly don't want a new cycle. My bioload is light but I won't go with no filtration.

Right now it's running very quietly... :) We'll see.