Problem with cycle...considering using One and Only

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by milomlo, Jul 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. milomlo

milomlo Astrea Snail

I have 60lbs live sand, 9 lbs lr, and 7 lbs base rock in my 29 gallon.
    After a week nothing was happening. In the past when I have started with lr and sand my cycle started and completed within 1 week. This time after a week I hadn't even had an ammonia spike. So I added a jumbo shrimp to kick start the cycle. After a couple days my ammonia went to .25, then .50 then to 1.00. When it reached 1.00 I removed the shrimp (as instructed on another forum) and now I ghost feed every couple days with Formula Two Pellets. So my nitrites ended up only going to about .10/.15 (The color on the card for .25 is purple and I never reached that color) My trites were still blue but with a purple hint of color...no longer the clear blue. So I continued to wait to see trates. Now I check my ammonia is 0, trites 0, and still no trates. I don't think I can be cycled since I never saw trates. :-/ So at this point I am considering using your product. Can you advise?
    Also can your products be mixed? Say if I wanted to use tap water for water changes and use your product for that and then use your ONe an Only in the main tank now. :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. milomlo

milomlo Astrea Snail

4. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Hello:

Here is link to short blog about mixing our products

Our Product Mix – What to Use and Not Use Together | DrTim's Aquatics

The only way to really tell if you are cycled is to add some fish/corals or a source of ammonia. I don't think you are cycled but cannot tell for sure.

You can get some of our ammonium chloride and One & Only and use them to make sure your tank is cycled and ready to go.