Preparing for a BLACKOUT! HELP!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by bobssecrtsn, Apr 19, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

So my community is turning off the power for approx. 9 hours and i have a 50g with a quietone 3000 pump i just checked the Watts on it and it pulls .5AMPS i also have a 500W heater i believe also pulls 5.5 AMPS.

What i have here is 4 4D batteries. each of them hold 200 AH and i also have another 8D battery which holds 250AH but i will not be attaching it.

so i have 800 AH and if i run my return pump with the heater( it turns on and off whenever its needed.) how long will i have before i have to recharge them? heres a picture..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

Sorry mistake my pump pulls .5 amps and my heater pulls 5.5 amps

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

cant help you with that........but where are you at and why the blackout?

Hopefully someone more electronically minded then me will chime in, but as long as you keep good water flow for even 1/2 of that time you should be fine. Unless you are in a really cold area, i wouldnt worry about the heater and instead focus on the pumps. If the pumps will not last for the full 9 hours, then plan on running for several hours in the begining and then turn them off for a couple hours. Then restart them Luckily 9 hours isnt all that long! Good luck

5. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

they are servicing the electriical lines around my area, im in CA san diego. i know i can set my vortechs but i actually want to run my return pump because it will recirc. all my water.

6. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

they are servicing it from 11pm- 7 am. i already have a gen. but its really loud and my community is really old people..

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

To answer your question, if all batteries are fully charged (as in basically new batteries), they would should be able to run your heater and pump for over 7 hours. That would be if both were running constantly, which is obviously not the case with the heater. Bottom line is, you should be fine.

8. Click Here!

9. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Quick question: why run a 500w heater in a 50g tank? Especially in Cali? Seems like beyond overkill.

10. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Hopefully it's all going well for you. At least you had time to prepare for it. In SD to but not the same community otherwise I would be asking similar questions. Good luck and update us when everything is back up for you.

11. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Let the generator run.. I'm sure half the neighbors are deaf :p If it was up to me and my tank I'd give the family some ear plugs and sit by my tank and watch.

1 person likes this.
  12. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Lol Nooze, I picture his family and a bunch of old people in his living room with chairs lined up like a theater in front of his tank and the old people complaining that they want him to turn on Magnum PI or Matlock.