Pregnant Six Line Wrasse

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Surf rider, Oct 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Surf rider

Surf rider Bristle Worm

Hello All,

I have had several email inquiries about the tank cover I made to keep the Six Line from jumping out of our tank. Most of you read the thread on the MOFIB web site. Like many of you we prefer to not cover our tank but leave it open to the fresh air and lighting above - more reef like? Anyway, we lost our original Six Line breeding female when the pair spawned and she jumped out of the tank. We obtained a second female and the pair spawn every day and also jump. I did not want to lose another fish nor go through the guilt. I devised a cover that uses a simple frame and smooth, nylon bird netting as used for protecting fruit trees. The netting is very flexible and stretchy and can be found at your hardware store or nursery. It also has small enough fiber diameter and large enough holes to allow nearly 100% light in and air but keep the jumpers in. It is also quickly removable for tank cleaning and food can be easily dropped through the netting. We are now into about 5 months of use and it has worked perfectly. The Six Line will jump while spawning but only lightly touch the bottom of the net and drop back in without problems. I wanted to watch this for a while before posting.

The attached pictures are not master pieces but basically show the simple acrylic frame, stainless screws that I will be changing to plastic posts and of course the netting. The whole frame sits just inside the tank resting on the center tank support and four suction cups placed in the corners. The frame could be something other than acrylic such as plastic rods, plywood, maisonite or ??? It is simple and it works. The frame sits about 1" above the water in our tank and cannot be seen from the outside

Frame cut from scrap sheet of 1/4" acrylic
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Stretchy bird protection net pulled over stainless screws
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Screen sitting in tank about 1" above the water. The screws will be changed to acrylic rods about 1/4" high and the netting trimmed up.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

If you have any questions or comments please ask or suggest.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Destimondia

Destimondia Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

4. nitro8433

nitro8433 Plankton

If u found out how to rear the fry i would like to know! I also have a pregnant six line for the second time.