Pregnant Six Line Wrasse

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Surf rider, Oct 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i just caught up on this thread, sorry to hear about your last female, hopefully you get some larvae with the new female

2. Click Here!

3. Surf rider

Surf rider Bristle Worm

Thank you for your best wishes.

They did spawn tonight but I ran out of battery in the video camera. I will post the dance as it progressed (recorded for 40 minutes). I will cut it down to maybe 2 minutes. It is very interesting that they would take time out to harrass the Coral Banded shrimp, almost like this was more than just spawning, a celebration party. These friends in our captive world have so much to teach us if we just watch.

Busy, but will try to edit the video ASAP

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea, i wish i could try breeding the green spotted puffer. Only problem is these guys are very aggresive and, there is no way to tell male and female gsp's by looking at them, but i did see one video on youtube that their gsp had spawned, but that's about it.

5. Surf rider

Surf rider Bristle Worm

I do not know about puffers but others such as the Six Line will change sex to accomodate. When they are small they are all female. Pick as large as you can for a male and a relatively small fish for the female - who knows, it might work.

The Six Line spawned twice today, something they have not (at least by my observations) done before. I did a 50% water change yesterday. Maybe it is sort of like fresh sheets.

6. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

7. Surf rider

Surf rider Bristle Worm

Second pair, same male new female

Well, as promised I finally got a video of the new pair spawning. The pair consist of the original male and a new female. The orignal female jumped out of the tank during a spawn. We now have bird netting over the tank to prevent exit but still allow all of the light in. The circulation also can still bring in fresh air.

In the attached video the first 20 seconds are of the night before. I had run out of camera battery after an hour of video recording. But I wanted to leave this bit in as it is one of the Wrasse's favorite things, to tease the Coral Banded Shrimp. He is guarding his dinner, raw shrimp on a BBQ skewer and the Wrasse soar through his feelers (antennae). The rest of the video is the last 2 minutes of the three hour dance. The pair leave the tank and the female lands on a tank center brace. She eventually gets off but the view looks as if she had jumped 3 ft out of the tank.

Enjoy, here is the video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DcBMejvoI4

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. Surf rider

Surf rider Bristle Worm

New addition

We have been experiencing a break out of green hair algae. We do not want to start pulling rocks and basically wreck the current setup so we sought help. We were very concerned about adding fish as the Sixline have gotten a reputation about owning the tank. We are happy to say, not so. We added a pair of Saifin Tangs and the Sixline welcomed them as if they had always been there. The Sixline did their daily spawn about four hours after we added the Tangs - no problem. The Wrasse is just off center to the left and below.

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  10. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

11. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Congratulations on the new additions. Watch out for fighting between the sailfins as they mature.

12. Surf rider

Surf rider Bristle Worm

Thanks for the heads up LCP. I had read about this potential problem while researching what fish to add for the algae problem. I think we will be OK as they are the same size and were introduced together. This introduction of two of the same type is something we learned as bird breeders, never introduce a single bird to an established flock ie established reef residents. I think many of the aggression problems people have experienced when introducing a new member to their tank is the immediate stress on the single fish and the territorial defense of the established members. If two (or more) are introduced together there is a supportive element in the task of surviving. I imagine this is common through out the entire animal kingdom.

Anyway, I think they will out grow the tank before real fighting becomes an issue. I took the experience from devlluv who recommended the Sailfin in my ID This post.

"Lol ya thats how i persuaded my wife to let me upgrade, I got a juvie fish and told her im goign to have to take it back to the store when it gets to big so she says we dont get rid of any member of thsi family so just go ahead and upgrade your tank. Woot 1 win for the husbands!"

Probably need to get a new tank eventually ;D

Last evening the Six Line went through their normal spawning behaviour. The Sailfin were hugely intrigued and kept a close proximity to the Wrasse. They also did some side by side quivering for lack of a better word. Who knows, another pair?