Pregnant Six Line Wrasse

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Surf rider, Oct 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Oh wow. Disaster and Love, all in the same instance. Oh the social behavior of fish. I'm glad the gamble worked out and the male is happy with the second wife! That is quite an update. I still find it amazing what fish do when they are seperated from their partners. So awesome, yet so sad.

K+ for the loss, and for the gain.

2. Click Here!

3. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

This is truly an awesome thread. Hope the new female works out for you and sorry about the loss of your orginial girl. Hope all goes well and keep us posted.

4. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Any updates on the new pair??

5. Surf rider

Surf rider Bristle Worm

They are doing great. No spawning yet but the male has started leading the new female around, showing her the secret spots, ie behind the overflow, in the corners and the old cave in the rock. You sort of wonder if she can tell there has been someone before her.

She is into the full activity of the tank including teasing the Coral Banded Shrimp when we give him some morsels.

I will go out on a limb and say by middle of next week they may start to spawn. I will be ready with the camera.

Thanks for asking.

6. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Too cool. Pic updates are expected;)

7. Surf rider

Surf rider Bristle Worm

Well, my prediction was a ways off but we are finally back into the game. As one the other MOFIB members who is also trying to breed these special guys said "they do not swim they soar through the water." I could not agree more. Watching this pair soar through the caves, behind tank elements and interacting is just mesmerizing.

I am trying to put together another video however the pair will spend several hours working up to the final spawn with many false starts along the way. If nothing else, watching this art is the real "so you think you can dance."

8. Click Here!

9. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

Woo hoo. I just caught up with this thread I hope you can raise some baby six lines good luck!

10. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

This thread is just downright amazing. All I can think about now is finding a mate for my clown. Not nearly as cool as your adventure but the mating dance of fish sounds amazing.

11. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

HAHA same here since I've heard this thread I started doing some research on breeding clowns.

12. Surf rider

Surf rider Bristle Worm

So guys I am looking for some thoughts and possibly triggering your thinking about this breeding situation. I am still trying to get a video, perhaps tonight?

Well, we now have nightly spawning just as before. This suggests to me that the male has control over when, as it is exactly as with his first lady. They are now jumping out of the tank as before but the new preferred area is the center rather than the back face of the tank (yes). I am considering putting some sort of acrylic shield, at least on the back that will block any exit on that side. However, I have a question for you gurus. I have raised exotic birds for well over thirty years and if all of the physical issues, size, length, light, etc, etc, is not perfect they will not breed.

This is our second female and along with the male checked out every nook, cranny, light, height and so on. It has been suggested that the tank depth at 2 ft may not be enough. My question is if not, why would these very selective animals breed? I would think that they would adapt to their environment and proceed with that information. Of course, the counter suggestion is I lost the first female.

In the wild, I am sure there are varying depths and if the depth is shallow do they not spawn or do they do the math and make it work?

Anyway, just thinking out loud as having these cool "soaring" fish (thanks for that quote Ummfish,MOFIB) looking forward to getting more eggs (still using the paint filter capture scenario) and will report what happens.

Harry