Pregnant Cleaner shrimp?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by CG, Jan 1, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CG

CG Bristle Worm

This morning i discovered the underbelly of oe of my cleaner shrimp was a neon green, when I looked closer it looked like thousands of little bubbles inside it. Could it be pregnant? Should I seperate it from the thank? It's been this way about a week now

2. Click Here!

3. CG

CG Bristle Worm

i could post a picture but i can't get it under 200kb, anyone know how i could?

4. CG

CG Bristle Worm

The reproductive strategy of L. amboinensis seems to have been an enigma to aquarianist until recently. Aquarianist have kept these shrimp on the assumption that they were gonochoristic, in other words having separate sexes, a real shock when one morning you find both individuals of a so called pair baring a full clutch of viable bright green eggs. The answer is naturally that L. amboinensis is hermaphroditic, meaning that each individual is capable of producing both ova and spermatozoa. Each individual therefor acts as the opposing sex, with one using sperm to fertilize the others eggs and visa versa.

think i just answered my question, this is gonna be so cool if it turns out well. any suggestions? I think i need a vitamin supplement for the food, I think they can feed on regular food though. Once they're growing I'll be happy to send them to people. AWESOME

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

6. CG

CG Bristle Worm

heres the picture, sorry its so small its all i could get to fit with the 200kb, you can't see the bubbles, but you can definately see the neon green hue to it

Attached Files:

• 232.BMP
      File size:
      175.8 KB
      Views:
  7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Yup, them are shrimp larvae! Great natural food source for fish and corals!

8. Click Here!

9. DC5

DC5 Astrea Snail

hey if you separate them out from your fish tank and raise them in a separate tank, you could make some $ selling those :)

10. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

if you have a pair of cleaners they will readily hatch eggs every couple of weeks. this is ok for the tank it can feed some corals, filter feeders, and fish love them to. free fish food