Preferred Heater?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by PackLeader, Sep 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well, thanks to the Nevada summers here, I've had my tank for 5 months and have never run a heater. Never had to, as the tank was always between 79-82f.
    Well, last night it cooled down a little, helped us sleep better, but I woke up to a tank that was at 71 degrees.
    Was wondering if you guys had a preferred type of heater. I'd like something compact and consistent. I'm running the one that came with my stupid little Pet-co combo, but like every other peice of equipment that came with it, I'm sure it isn't adequate.

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

ive heard really good things about titanium heaters, apparantly dont break as easily...or at all?

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Titanium heater not glass. Better get that temp swing under control because it will cause stress in the tank.

5. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

I'd recomend something with an actual thermostat...not just hi and low, and you have'n to figure whats in between...I run a "stealth"..it has a knob that tells you numered degrees...easy to control. about 30.00
    my 2 cents.
    LG

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  6. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

After having a Jager melt down on me, I switched to the VisiTherm Stealth
    Seemes very accurate and wont shatter. < 20.00 for the 250w

7. lillys Grandad

I believe thats what I have...petsmart though...paid more. :(

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Already is. I had a heater on hand, it just wasn't in the tank. And its not the best of heaters, but its going to be in there till I get a better one.
    I'm just paranoid about heaters. I had one go bad in a freshwater tank back in the day, and it fried every living creature in it. Not something I want to happen again.

10. lillys Grandad

Well, When I set up my sump, I believe I will run two...just in csae one fails. It does get chilly in the winter time in the RAIDER room.: )

11. reefersRus

reefersRus Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

+1 on the stealth heaters.. That is all I run in ALL my tanks. I have fresh and reef tanks and they are very accurate. It also has auto shut off if it leaves the water.

1 person likes this.
  12. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

+1 on running 2 heaters but just to clarify... running 2 heaters allows you to run smaller heaters than if you were only running one. That way, if a heater fails in the on position or thermostat goes bad, the smaller heater will not be able to cook your tank as quickly. Hopefully, you'll notice the temperature rise in time to avoid catastrophe. Of course, running a controller and possibly a chiller add even more protection but starting off with 2 smaller heaters is cheap insurance.