Predator tank idea's , pros and cons

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by shadyzee, Jul 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

batfish are very timid and often times getting them to eat in a perfect environment is hard enough. with so many predatory fish taking away its chances of eating by hogging food you get a similar scenario with a seahorse, they just dont have enough opportunity to get a sufficient amount of food.

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Ah, this is where the baitfish discussion originated.

I wouldn't buy one without extensive consideration. As said, they often starve and require specialized tank setups.

This is absolutely not a beginner fish.

4. shadyzee

shadyzee Astrea Snail

so is where you brought your profile picture ;D , very nice one thought.

the basic list so far is :-

Volitan Lionfish, Colored
    Radiata Lionfish
    Mombasa Lionfish or Fumanchu
    Frogfish
    honey cump eel or golden
    Grouper
    Hawk
    yellow tang or Blonde Naso Tang
    Wartskin Angler
    foxface fish

of course this is just an idea , can take out or add depends on what is the best for.

i can't agree more about how some stupid cause problems when they act like stupid , seen this couple times in underwater diving and i did it couple times as well :D

i will try to uplaod some picture for my tank soon with the filtration part so you can have a better clue about my limitation.

thanks alot bro.

of course i will need help on the right fish list which am sure you will help with.

i love the site you have sent me but i was thinking there should be more details and more varity :( .

i have

5. shadyzee

shadyzee Astrea Snail

Wow , thanks for the tip , i googled it around and i know now what you talking about , my under tank have 3 rooms , first is filter contains bio balls cotton and some sponge , second is the skimmer , last is the sump . i will try to take a picture soon and upload it here so you will have an idea.

guess there is a small space area i can add the 4th to be refugium ;D

really appritiate your tips and info.

6. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Those are all our fish, but we don't have them in the same tank. Some of those aren't compatible and all that are compatiable won't fit into a 130g tank.

Groupers get too big for a 130g. 2 frogfish won't go together (you listed frogfish and wartskin angler... both at the same family). A volitans will eat both of them. One angler can eat the other and possibly the hawk and the Fu. The volitans can eat the Fu and the hawk.

What would go together is the volitans, mombasae, radiata, foxface, grouper and possibly the golden eel (so we're talking about the same thing, what is the eels scientific name?). No comment on the tang because I've honestly never kept one. Even though those fish will go together, they all won't fit into a 130g.

The link is just a photo gallery of our fish, it isn't meant to have any details. If you click on the header on that page or the links in my signature, you will get details.

Not quite sure what you meant by my profile picture.

7. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

golden morays can run $400+, there are other eels that would fit fine in your tank, since it appears you dont want a snowflake you could do a chainlink, or a zebra. also as renee said those fish are not compatible nor will they all fit in such a small tank. cut it down to one lionfish, and definitely no grouper.

8. Click Here!

9. shadyzee

shadyzee Astrea Snail

Hey Renee

Thanks for the tips , and i guess this is why am here ! to have some of the knowledge good people have like you !! ;)

Seems there was a missunderstanding by the list i have privided , when i put the list i meant to pick the best of those can live together , not to have them all ;D , i know that i have 130G will limit some of the stuff and i have views the fish compatability and i noticed some of conflict already , but your information was amazing and still read it over and over ,

So based on your recommendation i beleive the list will be :-

-Radiata OR Mombasa OR Volitan lion Fish
    - Foxface Lo
    - Grouper ( out of the list , just double think about it and found it bad idea )
    - Eel , which i really like the honey cumb AKA tesslated one , i know it get very big for the 130G but it will take time to get the size if i didn't over fed him ;D , btw the Eel scientific name is Gymnothorax.

so what else we can to this list with and it will work good as you can recomend ?

i really like to know the list you keep as a predator tank keeper , can you mention that or send me a link of your thread and or picture of your tank ?? it will make give a very clear idea about the needed stuff.

by the prfile picture i mean the picture you have under your nick name , i wish i can have that beautiful one.

Thanks again and again

10. shadyzee

shadyzee Astrea Snail

Sure No grouper , he is out for good ;D i dont see the snowflake or zebra attracted , guess maybe cause am used to see the 4+ meters tesslated ones while diving :eek: they are THE best :)

any suggestion to the list ?

11. shadyzee

shadyzee Astrea Snail

here is the pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

The tank looks great! I'll let someone else answer your question about fish compatibility as I only have a nano reef ;D