Predator tank idea's , pros and cons

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by shadyzee, Jul 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shadyzee

shadyzee Astrea Snail

Hey Hey ;D
    thanks for your comments though , but do you think it going to be nice without corals ?? :-/ beside nice things comes from hard challenges i beleive :D

2. Click Here!

3. shadyzee

shadyzee Astrea Snail

So just wanted to be sure i got your point "newbie moment";D by filtration you mean :-

1- Skimmer
    2- Sump
    3- UV filtration
    4- Normal filtration
    5- all of above
    6- totally different story and you are just a newbie ;D;D;D

yeah i have an 50 multiple choice exam tomorrow as well !!:cry::cry::cry:

4. shadyzee

shadyzee Astrea Snail

Hey bro.
    Predator with no venom !! hmmm heck yeah it's great white shark time :p;D
    well i feel bad for that !! what is the remaning options for you then ?? groupers ?? frogfish ? eels ? what else ?

sorry but i don't think i got your last point of fuge and shrimp bites , as a newbie it sounded as a nice sea food dish ;D guess will go and google it around :-[

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

What fish were you leaning towards exactly? Listing a few could be an easy place to start to develop a stocking plan.

People get stung when they get stupid..... if you watch what you are doing, you should be fine. Avoid stonefish and you'll avoid death :) But no one thinks twice about stocking a venomous foxface or a slashing tang. Those are just as bad as most lions and scorps.

Sumps are great for added volume and possibly more rock for biological filtration. Skimmers are also awesome. UV is not necessary..... well, none of it is "necessary", I guess, but the UV is extra extra not necessary.

The fish I deal with primarily won't touch the clean up crew. They will eat crabs (not hermits) and shrimp, but not a standard CUC.

You can absolutely have corals, but stick with LPS and softies. If you can avoid bright light, you will keep nusiance algae at bay a little easier. Stick with LPS and softies and you don't need the light (and the added expense of running them). I honestly have tanks I have not wiped the glass down in months because it hasn't needed it. Get a good water changing schedule going and you'll be golden.

Here are some of our fish to maybe spark your interest in a critter or two.

Our Lions and Scorps

1 person likes this.
  6. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

Sorry for the lingo fuge is a shortcut word for refugium which is like a second tank below your display tank this tank often houses things you might not want in your display tank like macro algae or in the case of a pred tank the small fish. Its often used to house fish that torment the display fish or its used as a safe haven for pods which are small crustaceans that many fish love to snack on.
    More to the point i was saying you could use this extra tank to place some uncooked shrimp and it will decay allowing for a larger colony of the beneficial bacteria so the poop swing wont be so drastic!

As far as fish for me I'm looking at a panther grouper and maybe a tang or puffer not sure yet

7. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

If you stock slowly and appropriately, you won't have trouble with ammonia. There should be no need to intervene in that area. Nitrates can be an issue, but not ammonia.

8. Click Here!

9. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

under tank sump with refugium, skimmer, maybe a uv filter but not very necessary, and thats your normal filtration.

Google Image Result for http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5029/5600844333_a91cbec88d.jpg

this is a good pic of a setup.

10. harrison

harrison Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

ive never kept one but a long nose batfish would be very cool. look them up on live aquaria under marine fish and then batfish. :) wish i had a 130 gallon!

11. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

batfish are very delicate and not well suited to a predator tank if i remember correctly.

12. Nu-Nu

Nu-Nu Bubble Tip Anemone

The batfish is pretty sweet, and is probably more suited toward calmer tanks but it can do well in a predator tank. One guy i know has it in a 150 with a trigger, moray eel, and full size honeycomb grouper and the batfish is doing fine :D