Pre-build planning-400ish gallon tank

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by madlarkin, Jun 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

\\

Yes

The OM's introduce heat. I'll try and see if I can rouse a friend who used his and see what he thinks.

2. Click Here!

3. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

What sort of scale of heat are we talking? I have a spare 75g that I was going to set up as a refugium and then another tank of similar size for a sump. I could be off, but I *think* a couple large(12-14" fans blowing across the top of the sump and fuge should provide enough evaporative cooling to keep things in check.

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I think that you're probably correct.

With that said, it's better to get the opinion of someone whose actually run OM's rather than someone who is just guessing.

5. madlarkin

Absolutely. Heat is a worry on this between lighting and all the pumps required to run it. I am now starting to look more and more into running MP40's or Tunze 6205 or 6305's and supplementing with a few big(koralia magnums, modded MJ's, etc) if needed.. Assuming I can't find a distributor to play nice with me on the build, the cost for them would fall in line with or be cheaper than the closed loop idea.

EDIT: This is something I am going back and forth on big time. I seriously prefer the clean look sans-powerheads but it seems like the tradeoff is more heat introduced and obviously a lot less flexibility once built. You mentioned redundancy-I work for/run an IT firm, access at large scale battery backups is a cinch and powerheads draw a LOT less then beefy pumps.

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

7. madlarkin

I am currently posting from rainy, humid philly meeting the future inlaws.

Found a place that we really, really like in the area we are scoping for and I am heading out Thursday while I am in the office to check it out. Has a sunroom off the back with a perfect empty 10ft+ long wall right over the partially finished basement.

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

My friend thinks you are fine based on what you've posted.

10. bama

bama Humpback Whale

after reading all of this, I cant wait to see this all in action..

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Now, my tank is no where near the scale of what you want, but some of the equipment may translate. Talking over with a few, here's the deal with the OM's. They do produce quite a bit of heat. And, they also suck up a ton of electricity. It can be really deceptive, because they do seem like such a simple device. If you're planning on running a chiller and what not, then sure, might as well add them. I wanted to keep running costs down with my build, so I decided against them. I used as few pumps as possible.
    You can drive all your reactors, skimmer, etc off of the return pumps using a manifold. You may even look into something like the Tunze wavemakers. You could run two of them and get plenty of flow, and not have to deal with the closed loop logistics completely.

12. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I've had just the opposite experience with my OM 4 way.

In fact, with adding the Reeflow Dart 3600 GPH pump and the OM 4-way, the tank didn't get any hotter at all.
    It's my pressure pump for the skimmer and returns that makes all the heat.
    As far as electricity goes, I doubt the OM itself draws much electricity at all.
    Its motor is only 7.5 watts on 110 volts, so that's only 0.068 amps maximum that it draws.