Powersweep

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 2, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

Hmmmm...I always used mine with the prefilter also..who knows :-/

2. Click Here!

3. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

I just got two of them, be running for 3 days now and looking good, I like the way they move the water around, now if the LFS will get the rock that I have ordered in I will be very happy.

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

So you get all input...

I have been running 3 ZooMed Powersweeps in my 55 gal. since startup - more then 3 mos now - (1 228, 2 212) --- I do use the prefilters (that came with them) & I pull them out every other week and give them a good scrubbing over, paying particular attention to the moving heads...

I really don't think they have all that great of an output - but are OK for tank my size. (I have two at opposite ends of tank & one "pointed" at surface.

I like them and the way they work. Most practical water movement option for me.

Certainly hope they keep working. Expect I will replace with another if one fails.

Rgds,

OmarD

5. verbal

verbal Astrea Snail

We're running a single powersweep that pumps water perpendicular to our other two power heads. It's been running for about three weeks; its still sweeping, though there are obvious "sticks" in its motion. Still, it's a good change-up.

6. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

If you like cleaning them every week then go ahead and get one. I had 2 of them in my 80 gallon tank and really don't think they are worth the hassle.
    coraline algae and other cling on make the power head stick.

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Agree with Nautilus...they do the job (minimumly) - but are a big pain to keep clean. I have to pull mine every two weeks and totally go over.

Definitly not part of my current tank upgrade plan. Am tending to go with the SCWD on new tank.

Will have two returns on "all-glass 120" upon which to mount on. - can run "flex-hose" from outputs to where current wanted.

The SCWD will run on any pump with a minimum output of 50 GPH and a maximum output of 1400. The switching speed and current duration is dependent on the volume of water flowing through the SCWD. You can control the duration by controlling the flow going through the SCWD. - should to the job.

Anyone else have exp. with?

OmarD

10. SpngBob

SpngBob Astrea Snail

Where can I buy the SCWD at?? Been hearing more about it lately... I was goig to buy the powersweep but the fish store guy wouldnt let me cause he has it and hte salt kept getting stopping it up...

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Howdy SpngBob,

SCWD available at almost all big web aquarium supply vendors. Am getting mine from CustomAquatic:
    ($39.99) http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/index.asp#

Saw cheaper on Ebay & other sites...but I tend to stick with "reliable" sources.

You still need to run in conjuction with a very large powerhead or pump.

Not set up yet so no comment as to how well it works. But good reports on other forums and reviews.

As stated before...the powersweeps work OK, but you gotta do some regular "cleaning." - Probably best alternative, esp. with a smaller tank with no sump.

Rgds, OmarD

12. verbal

verbal Astrea Snail

Our powersweep gave out. We have it on a wavetimer, and everytime it starts, it makes a loud series of clicks and wiggles around in the tank. The osscilating action is almost all gone. Pity, it was a good idea. We're looking now at SCWD or replaing it with a regular powerhead.