Powersweep

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 2, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

This is one of the more interesting powerheads to come along in a while. Anyone using it?

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

im not using it but am interested in it. ive heard good and bad things about it and would like to here from people that have used it

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hi Karlas,

I have heard some bad things about the Powersweep as well. 3 people that claim to have it in a recent thread I saw all said it was terrible. Of course you can't believe everything you read, but I was pretty discouraged. I still think it is a good idea, and I believe I saw an ad for another company making similar powerheads. I can't remember who they were, but I will keep my eyes open and let you know.

Matt

PS- Did you get my instant message?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I had a Powersweep running in a 55gallon reef. Loved the idea and felt it had major potential. It looked and ran great the first few days. (Kinda gives the tank a high tech look) However, the fourth day it stopped moving. I removed it and took it apart to see what was wrong. A small flake of rock had managed to "swim" its way up there. Keep in mind that this was a very very small piece. I removed it washed the parts and through the head back in. Worked for another three or four minutes and then burnt out.

So, if you are planning on using one I recommend you attach a thicker screen or sponge to the intake. Otherwise you'll have a brand new Power sweep that doesn't sweep much at all.

R.Bradley

6. Wesley

Wesley Plankton

Mine works fine.. It says in the directions you have to add a pre-filter to it. I did and it has worked great.. going on about 4 months..

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I hear that the prefilter helps a lot too, but you still get very little flow. The biggest one is only rated at like 220 GPH or something. Maybe good for a small tank but not a large one.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I have heard some good things about sea swirls. Maybe just sticking some of those on the return lines would be the best option.

10. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

When I bought my Powersweep, I was very enthused about it. Needless to say, after about 3 weeks it stopped "sweeping". Just sorta acted like any other powerhead. Took it out, cleaned it, still nothing. I ended up replacing it with another powerhead as it was so unpredictable. IMO waste of money! :(

11. DrRichP

DrRichP Plankton

I have 2 PowerSweep 212's in my 10 gallon nano and 2 PowerSweep 214's in my 29 fish only. They all work fine. I have used all of them with the sponge prefilter since the day they went in. I am betting that's why I never had a problem with any of them. The sweep rates are adjustable. I set one on a fast sweep and one on a medium sweep which give a continuously alternating current. They have worked well for me.

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Thanks for the feedback DrRichP and welcome to 3reef!