Powerheads moving sand

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by jmann124, Jul 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

The sand is CaribsSea Aragomax sand. I got 2 different grain sizes. 2/3s of it is .5-1mm and 1/3 is 1-2mm grains. The tank was sold as a 75g. It is a tank that PetCo or PetSmart used as their own tank that they stocked with the fish they had for sale. It had 2 dividers siliconed in it that I cut out. It measured 52x21x18. After I filled it and had it set up I noticed that the front glass was 1.25" shorter than the back which kept the water from reaching my drains enough to keep up with my return. I had a local glass guy but me a piece of 1.5" glass long enough for me to fit on the front and it worked perfect.

Anyway, back to the sand. It was not labeled as sugar sized sand, but those 2 powerheads move the heck out of it. I don't plan on a blenny, but I do plan on a Yellow Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp that will hoopefully buddy up.

2. Click Here!

3. whitey

whitey Plankton

I have exactly the same problem on my 200lt set up. Just running in at the moment, but the powerhead is shifting the sand on the opposite side for about 2 inches. The rock placement theory seems to work i have moved some of the ocean and live rock slightly closer to the side wall and it has reduced the problem

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Maxi Jets have a very concentrated jet stream compared to the newer style prop powerheads like Tunze, Evolutions, MP, Seio and Voyager which all move many times more water but in a nice wide diffused pattern so do not disturb the sand as much if any. I have 330 lbs of southdown sugar sand in my 100G with two Evolutions 1400 powerheads and 1000 GPH through the returns and the sand stays put.

Also if your tank is new, the sand will eventually become coated with beneficial bacteria which will make the particles settle much better as it matures.