Powerheads and heat output

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Leesa, Jul 2, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Leesa

Leesa Astrea Snail

I have been reading the product reviews on this forum and it seems that the Hagen and the Maxijet powerheads seem to be favored. My question: does anyone have an opinion on the heat output of powerheads when submerged. I tend to have a problem with my tank being too warm and want to add as little heat as possible to my tank.

Thanks,
    Leesa

2. Click Here!

3. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

What size is the tank?

The maxi jet can be run outside the tank, at least it is advertised that it can. IMHO the powerheads shouldn't be much of a heat issue, depending on the tank. We need the specs on what you are using as far as tank, lights, is there a sump/return pump?

Glad to have you aboard, Leesa!!

Drew

4. Leesa

Leesa Astrea Snail

I have a 75 gallon reef tank with 2 110 watt power compacts and a 40 watt fluorescent bulb. My only pump right now is an external Velocity T2 pump (due to the death of my current CA-1800). I have a 20 gallon sump with a submerged protein skimmer that has a Catalina CA-800. I really wanted maybe a couple more submerged powerheads so that I can direct flow to some of the dead spots in the tank . The CA-1800 was attached to a bar that has holes to facilitate flow along the bottom of the back of my tank behind the live rock.

Thanks,
    Leesa

5. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Do your lights have a fan on them, and how close are they to the water surface? Is the tank in an air-conditioned room?

If I was you I would add the powerheads, the circulation alone would help dissipate some of the heat. ;)

There have been a couple of posts lately by people that have had some radically inaccurate readings from their thermometers. The Coralife Digital Thermometer has been mentioned ($7) as very accurate. I am definitely getting one!! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I am new to this whole thing so hopefully one or more of the GURUS around here can help out. I would venture to say that maybe your lights are too close to the surface area, that is if they are not cooled, and the room is air-conditioned.

How hot does it get there in Nashville? I know in St Louis we couldn't live without the AC!! (lived there for 15 years). [smiley=sunny.gif]

Drew

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I have 4 Maxijets, a MAG 12 and a MAG 8 running in my tank and have not had any significant heat issues with regards to pumps.
    My first Questions is: are your lights sitting on the glass cover of your tank. If so I would think about removing the glass cover and suspending your lights. There are plastic clips you can now buy that will lift your lights from the frame of the tank (Tryed to find a pick and couldn't)
    If you do not have glass top on your tank I would consider increasing the evaporation bay adding a fan that blows across the top of you tank or sump. This will drop the temp significantly.
    And one last thing make sure you test you temp with more than 1 thermometer some may not be that accurate.

Jason

7. Leesa

Leesa Astrea Snail

To better help you help me, I added a signature.

Next, my lights are on two inch risers and both the PC's have fans, as well as a fan blowing over the sump and a fan that runs inside the cabinet which is vented. Since the addition of the fan on the sump and the vents in the cabinet we have not actually had a problem, but I was curious as to how more powerheads would affect the heat.

Yes, we have AC as the temperature in the summers frequently runs in the 90's and the humidity is often also in the 90's.

As for thermometers, we have two in the tank, different brands, that pretty much are consistent with one another.

I think we are going to go with the Hagen 70 and two Maxijet 600's. We also have a pipe with holes across the bottom behind the live rock to help eliminiate dead spots. This is what my dead CA-1800 was doing.

Thanks for your input.
    Leesa