powerhead is making bubbles

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by billy31422, Dec 8, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billy31422

billy31422 Feather Duster

what causes powerheads to make bubbles and is there anything i can do about it. thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Mine will spew bubble occasionally, It usually prompts me to clean it

J

4. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

I have wondered the same thing, I have a Maxi-Jet 1200 in a cichlid tank that spews bubbles every few minutes if it hasent been cleaned in a month or so but once I clean it it stops... I have a Maxi-Jet 600 in my saltwater tank that never spews bubbles and I havent cleaned it in 5 months.

5. billy31422

billy31422 Feather Duster

i have 2 that make bubbles all the time. not a lot of bubbles but some.

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

what i have found is that ph make tiny bubbles either when they are 2 high up and out of the water lol...or where there is a big bubble traped inside it...for my rio ones i just turn it upside down in the tank and shake it to let the air out...then its fine!

7. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

Niether of those apply in my case, The powerheads are submerged about 4" under the water line and I dont think a bubble traped inside the power head would make it spew tiny bubbles for 5 or 6 days until it iritates me enought to remove it and clean it.

8. Click Here!

9. minibowmatt

minibowmatt Plankton

when I PH is making bubbles and it is that far down in the tank (no possibility of pulling air) it is due to cavitation. IME, the impeller needs to be cleaned and checked to see if it is still true. If the impeller is damaged at all, it will spin harder to one side (centrifugal (sp?) force) and it will cavitate causeing air to be released from the water. this air will shoot out as a burst of bubbles.

I would clean it, if that doesnt help, replace the impeller.