power outlet not working

Discussion in 'Frags' started by jingles230, Sep 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jingles230

jingles230 Astrea Snail

well i was about to setup my 20 long propogation tank when i discovered that the power outlet im going to be using isnot working. anyone know why it wouldnt work? iv checked and flicked the brakers and that does not seem to work, and all of the some of the other outlets in the room work but this one does not.

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Is there possibly a switch in the room, or in a nearby room, that you don't know what it's connected to?

Barring that, it's not hooked up.

4. Fresh2Salt

Fresh2Salt Feather Duster

I'm a electrician check all your GFCI in the house and breakers...if you have anymore questions PM me i will help you out

5. Mainstream Aqua

Mainstream Aqua 3reef Sponsor

Check to make sure it is grounded properly.

6. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

Must be a tripped GFCI on that same circuit, that rec. is on a switch that you don't know about, the breaker is tripped or the receptacle its self is bad. Receptacles will go bad although a lot of people don't think that would be the problem.

7. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Agreeing with all above posibilities,if that all checks out,it could be a broken or loose wire connection.I'm an electrician as well,so don't hesitate asking for help or guidence.We'll be happy to help.And be careful if your not sure rather you have power to the outlet or not.You can have 120 volts at the outlet,but if there is a broken common wire,it will not complete the circuit,and if you check for voltage,go to a known ground,not the common wire,as it would fail to read on the meter and could light you up.Ask me how i know ;)