Power Head Positions

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mikentexas, Jan 14, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikentexas

mikentexas Plankton

What is the best pattern or position to place power heads for the best flow?

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

That's a tough one. It all really depends on your rock work. The best way to describe it is you want flow everywhere. No dead spots. Even behind your rock. You can have calmer spots but there should be flow everywhere.
    It also depends on what you want to keep. Fore example SPS prefer higher flow than lets say a leather coral or bubble coral.

J

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

you should adjust them and reposition them each tank is different so it may take different spots in the tank

5. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

what would the best way to position 2 power heads in a standard 55 gal. to create waves in my reef tank.

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Filters;num=1074094387;start=0#3 date=03/01/04 at 15:26:01]what would the best way to position 2 power heads in a standard 55 gal. to create waves in my reef tank.[/quote]

What is the GPH of the power heads?

7. hottielover14

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Well you could put them all most anywhere then.
    Some corals like med to fast water movement so those could be set closer to the PH. If you put one on each end facing each other this may help you get more water movement through out the tank as when the streams hit each other the water will push outwards and cover more area. It really will be trail and error. Just keep a close eye on them and see.

10. hottielover14

how can u get like wave currents in my tank with them. How can I guard the inlet of the powerhead because I had 1 snail die because it got stuck in the inlet port. did u ever have that problem.

11. Uber

Uber Astrea Snail

i had a couple turbos die from that also, so i went to a craft store and bought these plastic sewing things and they fit tight around the powerhead. damn looked all over for a picture but i cant find one.

12. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

I got a round sponge from my LFS and fit it on the inlet works well