Power centers with digital timers

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by PerpetualProducts, Mar 23, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jpmorley

jpmorley Astrea Snail

For anyone still reviewing this thread, I was really happy to see it after having to put up with one of those useless Coaralife light timers. I made a bit more complex one as follows: Bought an 8"x8"x4" waterproof box from an electrical supply store (Home Depot carries the boxes but I couldn't find the right size). I wanted to put 3 timers and 5 outlets in the box. Its a tight squeeze, requiring the tabs (ears) to be cut off the timers and outlets. I also had to cut off some of the cover plate holes and use the mounting holes with nuts to secure the components. I didn't use a cover plate like Perpetual Products since I needed to remove those holes. Instead, I cut rectangular holes in the box cover for each component. To do this I used a rotary saw and a makeshift guide from a strip of wood and some clamps. Mine doesn't look quite as good as PP's but it is clean. I wired the top row so that one timer controlls two duplex outlets (I need two sockets for my two metal halides and one for a fan, leaving me one in reserve on that timer). The fourth slot on the top row is always on and I plug mu pump power strip into it. On the bottom row, I put two more timers, each controlling one duplex outlet. For the 1st timer I put my actinics on one socket and my fuge light on the other. For the 2nd timer, I put my moonlights on the two sockets. I sed all 12 guage wire because I am running a lot of power through this box, though in retrospect 14 guage between timers and duplex outlets would have been fine since no timer has more than a few amps on it. I do think the 12 guage power cord is important. My cost of components and materials was around $150 so it ain't cheap. If you want one like this, send your description to PP. I don't want to get into this business but hope others will find this helpful.)

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sounds really heavy duty jp. Nice work. I'd love to see a pic. Upload one if you have the chance.