Poweheads.

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by New2Reef, Mar 2, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. New2Reef

New2Reef Astrea Snail

I'm running a Aquaclear 802 on my 55g....is this enough or should I be running 2 smaller pumps. What do you all think of the rotating heads? I'm trying to create a happy home for everyone.
    TY
    N2R

2. Click Here!

3. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Re: Powerheads.

Whatever powerheads you use have you protected the intakes to keep the anemone from being sucked in and ground up?

4. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

I have 2 powersweeps 214 befind the LR, and a 402 in the top right hand corner for overall water movement, along with the Seaclone 100 and filter.

5. New2Reef

New2Reef Astrea Snail

I have protective covers over the intakes...I learned the hard way and lost a lil blue damsel that way....felt bad fer the lil guy. :(
    I'm thinking of adding a small sweeper behind the LR but I also want places for the fish to go and get out of the current for rest times.......
    N2R

6. New2Reef

New2Reef Astrea Snail

I'm considering a higher quality powerhead with a little more volume,what types of ph's do you guys run or recommed for a 55g?
    Thanks
    N2R

7. tdevil

tdevil Feather Duster

well, i really dont use powerheads, i use a magdrive, which is more of a pump then a pwr head, i really like them
    in a 55g i would use a mag 5 (500gph)
    you really dont need a resting spot so-to-speak, the fish will be fine, they are use to more than we can give them, and some fish need more flow
    i do have 2 powersweeps, but they need to be cleaned a lot to keep them working properly, i wish i would have never bought them, but i did, so i deal with it ;)

HTH

td

8. Click Here!

9. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

can't u get like covers for the powerhead intake. I have lost a snail to one so I took it out. What do u cover yours with.

10. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

11. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

for in the tank powerheads I suggest either cap or rio they come set up with covers to keep most stuff out.

12. New2Reef

New2Reef Astrea Snail

Hey TD,
    Your Mag5,does it chop the whole top of the tank? Any position I put my AC 802 in it doesnt seem to be breaking the surface where a film builds up...I'd like to provide complete chop for the surface and have no dead spots.
    Thanks
    N2R