poweder blue tang dying help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by loneracer05, Feb 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

i think putting him in qt would stress him out more at this point no?

2. Click Here!

3. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

IME..Sometimes fish just do not make the switch to a new tank. It is probably nothing you did wrong. If he is upside down, I am afraid he is a goner. Once they lose control of their swim bladder, there is usually no hope. Dont be too hard on yourself, it just happens sometimes. Best of Luck to you!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  4. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

I wouldn't turn off the powerheads. Keeping the water moving is helping with the oxygenation. Sorry to hear that you are losing him, but as someone else said, sometimes they just don't take the move well. Although powders are harder to keep than others, I don't think I would have gone with such a long acclimation either. IMO, a normal acclimation would have been just fine.

5. loneracer05

ok ill do the shorterr one on my next one. im willing to try 1 last time on it....unfortunately i just left for work so the power heads are off till 1130. i did add a power sweep with the airation tube in. the tank still has a decent turn over rate between the hob filter the skimmer the fuge wich i cranked ( maxijet return pump with about a foot and a half head). he is in a lower flow area of the tank. its a swirling flow section under my fuge return wich comes out at a 45* angle so hes not in direct flow but there is flow there. man m i sad tonight :(

and to make things worse i have to wait till sun afternoon to go see the lfs guy to see what he says.

6. whiptofiz

whiptofiz Fire Worm

How are all the other fish doing?

7. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts it's an o2 thing when I first started I lost one like that

8. Click Here!

9. loneracer05

the other fish are doing fine, if anythinng they are more active. i dont think its o2 related there arent many fish in this tank. i moved a bunch of fish out of this tank to the 300 2 weeks ago only a purple square anthias and a fox face remain. the fox face is about the same size as the powder blue, small 2-3 inches. the anthias will be moved shortly aswell

10. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Could possibly be cyanide poisoning, how long was the powder blue at your LFS before you picked it up?

~Will.

11. loneracer05

the kid there who i dont usually buy from said he was there for afew days already. i think they get deliveries on sat.

12. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

We all lose fish my friend, if he does not make it don't take it too hard.