Resolved Powder Blue Tang getting bullied

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by gabbagabbawill, Oct 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

Well, I have a fairly established tank and I've always wanted to add a Powder Blue Tang since day one... I have a False Lemonpeel Angel that's been in the tank for almost a year; it can be a brat sometimes, but never acted like this before.

I just added the Powder Blue Tang and the Angel is voraciously chasing it around the tank. I have had the lights off for a day and a half now, and as long as the lights are off, the Angel doesn't bother it, but when the lights come on, the chase ensues. I'm really afraid to leave the lights on in fear that the Angel will tear it to shreds, but they have to come back on sometime...

My line of thinking was that the Powder Blue would be so much larger than the Angel and be able to fend for itself... but that doesn't seem to be the case...

The Tang has been nibbling at algae on the rocks, which is a good sign, but still looks like it's in a bit of shock and seems somewhat stressed. It hasn't touched the nori (red and green) that I have on a veggie clip or the mysis I tried feeding it. I'm really worried....

So, do you guys think that I should turn the lights on and see if the tang will make it or leave the lights off for another day or two for the tang to recover? I've left the lights off for a couple days before and everythings been ok, but I'm a little worried about going much over two days...

My other option is to maybe take the Tang back... I think it'll be fairly easy to catch as it still doesn't know it's way around the tank... I really want this fish, but I don't want to see it die.

Looking for your positive thoughts and advice...

Thanks!!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

what is the size difference between the two?

4. gabbagabbawill

The Angel is about 3.5" and the Tang is about 5-6"

5. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Woah Big tang... Did you try moving the rock structure around in the tank, It tends to throw off the current residents a bit and make everyone unaware of whats going on, like you said, knowing the way around the tank.

Angels and Tangs do not get along very well in my book. Never have So Ive avoided the two together, hence having them in separate tanks amongst themselves.

Is the tang eating besides avoiding the chase?

1 person likes this.
  6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Changing the scape even a little may help and you can try taping a mirror to the outside of the tank to distract the angel and giving the tang a chance to acclimate.

1 person likes this.
  7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

sounds like angel is jealous since the tang is larger. the tang will likely not even give the angel the time of the day and then one day just beat up on the angel to put him in his place.
    It is usually how the larger fish act IME. Angels can be nasty tho :-/

8. Click Here!

9. gabbagabbawill

I guess I could move the rocks as a last resort, but I have corals attached to most of them so I'd rather not do that...

Never heard that about tangs and angels... I guess it makes sense, but for some reason I thought I could get away with it...

The tang only picks at the algae on the rocks, but won't eat the nori or mysis I gave it...

10. gabbagabbawill

I'll try moving a few rocks...

1 person likes this.
  11. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

Do u have a sump/fuge/spare tank. u could try moving the angel to the sump for a day or two, letting the tang settle in and then return the angel and see what happens. this way the angel would kinda be like a new addition also.

12. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

you might try attaching the nori to a rock. some fish are afraid of the clip.

1 person likes this.