Potential Future Upgrade; Want some opinions

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by GuitarMan89, Mar 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

That's the thing, I know you can grow anything with enough T5s. I like T5s and they definitely have their benefits. But my problem is that I have a 55 right now and want to upgrade, but keeping the future in mind. If I get an 8 bulb fixture or even a 6, they will both be much wider than the tank. The MH fixture I have been looking is about the same width as the tank. However, for the price, I can get a top of the line T5 fixture though. Im going to have to do some thinking.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

you know whats best for you, but if you dont mind suggestions what about a 4 x 80 watt canopy now - and another 4 x 80 watt when you get the wider tank? in China they make some 2 way T5 fixtures in 54 watt version 1.2 metres long - I have 3 of them across my 60 now only 110mm wide each

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Do you mean a retro fit kit or is this an actual fixture? I don't have a canopy right now, nor is my tank in a position to get one. If it's a fixture I will definitely look at it. I am fully open to suggestions. I just don't want to have to regret my decision later down the road like I already have.

5. steve wright

Aquarium Obsessed - Aquatronica, Custom Aquariums, H&S, Tunze, Fauna Marin, Milwaukee, Prodibio, Shuran, Sfiligoi and More!

I was thinking something like the 2 tube pendants that you can add on to so use 4 on what you have now and move up to 6 when you get bigger tank

6. steve wright

http://www.aquariums.tw/media/content/Katalog_2006_E.pdf

check out the Geiseman T5s - with canopy or fixture with leg options reflex T5

7. paintball7

paintball7 Feather Duster

hey guitarman if ur looking for a 2X 250 w halide fixture with t5s n moontlights, outer orbit makes a nice one. thatfishplace sells them and they can give u a 15% off coupon for it. i have that fixture for my 75 so thats a 48inch fixure i believe. and right now im going to thatfishplace to get the same fixture in 24inch for my 30g it really is a great fixture but 48inch is around like 7 to 8 hundred

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Thanks again guys checked some of that stuff out. Does anyone know of a good pendant that is designed not to be used in a canopy or retro kit?

10. steve wright

Forgive me if this sounds dim? do you mean your looking for a hood type fixture with the lights built in, that has legs to sit on top of your tank ( normally 6 inches or so) but adjustableso they can be used to fit your current tank and then the legs moved apart to fit your new tank or are you looking for a hood type fixture that is suspended on wires from either the ceiling or wall brackets

My Aquajapan ( dont laugh I swapped the tubes out ) 6 x 80 watt fixture is as above with legs that can slide down rebate in body so it could be used on my 1.2 or 1.5 m tanks