Potential Future Upgrade; Want some opinions

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by GuitarMan89, Mar 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I have a 55 gallon reef. I currently have a Nova Extreme 4x54 T5 HO fixture. This fixture has held me back in what corals I want to keep. I am able to keep some sps, montiporas, but can't get good colors out of them, at least not what I consider good. I also have the sps about 4" below the surface of the water. As with many other people, I can't afford it now, but I want to start researching and seeing what is out there. I would like to upgrade by the end of the summer.
    Anyways, I want to upgrade with my future tank upgrade in mind, most likely a 90 gallon tank, that won't be for about 2 years though. After giving countless advice as to what fixtures are good and why one should spend the money on a good fixture, I am going to take my own advice. I am deciding between T5 or MH. Now, I want to keep T5 lighting because of the bulb configurations, the low heat and they don't consume as much electricity. I would want MH because of the intensity, penetrating power and shimmer effect. However, I don't want to worry about heat and the possibility of a chiller. I also don't want a hood, so I could do two MH pendants, but then no actinics.
    So, here are my choices...Remember, I need to have this over my 55 until I upgrade. Another reason I like T5s because I can always remove a bulb.

Aquarium Specialty

A little on the high end
    Aquarium Specialty

Or I could do two of these pendants
    Aquarium Specialty

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well, the maristar would obviously be the best choice. The ATI would be a good upgrade from what you have, but you would end up being in the same boat that you are in now when you get the 90.
    The Ice cap system would work, but that is really more of a retrofit kit than a pendant. Just something to keep in mind. They can be hung, but in person they just don't look nearly as clean as some of the other pendant kits out there.
    The other thing I would look into is Tek's 8X54W 48" fixture. Still wouldn't be as nice as the Maristar, but a solid step up from the ATI unit.

1 person likes this.
  4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I switched from T5 to MH. I will not be switching back to T5. I have been very pleased so far, and my temp stays right around 78-80 constantly. I keep my house around 73.

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Maristars are great fixtures... Spendy but nice. You COULD do a Solar Flare, T5 and rock the tank, and spend less most likely. If you suspend it you could do a 6-8 bulb TEK fixture and in the mean time don't run all bulbs.
    Constellations are another nice fixture that would do fine on either tank.
    If you only did a retro, you could have more control of what you need/want...

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I would consider a 6x54W TEK. BUT, you need good bulbs. If you run the bad bulbs, you may as well stick with what you got. If you buy from Reefgeek.com, you can get UVL bulbs to go with it. Really, you can grow anything you want with a good T5 array with high end bulbs. Giesemann bulbs are also good.

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Thanks for the input so far, I will definitely look into the other fixtures mentioned.

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Forgive the dumb question - what lenght is the 90 gallon tank going to be? and how long till you get it -

Your current tank is 48 inches long - if you have 6 inches of space either side at present location - you could look at 6 x 80 watt options T5s (these are 1.5 metre or 5 ft long)
    - it may look odd for the time being - but over the new tank - it will increase your options on what to keep

11. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Guitar.. I would go with ATI or Giesemann bulbs.... I know I sound like a broken record.... If you are looking for PAR values ATI average the most per bulb, then Giesemann... The Aquasun by UVL puts out good PAR....

Steve~
    90 gal tanks have the same foot print as a 75 only taller.... The 60" bulbs are going to work this time.
    Guitar~ The only downside to your specific upgrade is that you will most likely raise the lights off the tank a bit until the upgrade..... IME not bad compared to the people that go from 4' tanks to 6' and they need to buy a WHOLE new lighting system.

Good luck!

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Yea, I kind of figured that. Right now after doing some reading, I'm think I will need to raise the light off the tank by about a foot right now. I am seriously considering the Maristar 2x 250 w MH and 2 x 54 w T5s. I was thinking about going with 2 x 150 w, but stopped and said, if I'm going to do this, I want to do it right. My 55 will be rocking for some time, but I feel it will be the best for my distant future upgrade.

Dr. Fragenstein, how do you feel about the heat issue on the 55 with that fixture? It does include fans and I will have it raised. The good news is that the tank is in my basement so it stays much cooler in the summer done here than the rest of the house.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009