Potassium Permanganate Question

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Blade_Runner, Mar 14, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Hi,

Well I thought I dodged the red slime bullet in cycling my 210, but I walked into my office this morning to find red slime in the sand. I think I cursed myself when I joked about adding 100 snails and crabs the other day. So, the cleanup crew is on order and I've cranked up the skimmer, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience in using PP to help reduce dissolved organic compounds? Opinions? Cautions?

Oh, to head off the normal algae question... I'll check it again tomorrow, but my phosphates were low (I need to check my log, but it was less than .02 ish from memory) 2 weeks ago when I last tested it. The test kit is at home.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Got a link on PP?
    You have me curious about it.

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Interesting stuff :) I did a bit of reading and it seems that PP oxidizes the DOC's in the water, which I assume means they ( the DOC's ) can't then proceed through the Nitrogen cycle and also add Phos.

The thing to be aware of with Cyano however is that it is a wonderful "user" of Phosphates and although the water may measure a relatively low level, it could be the the Cyano is actually acting as a bit of a Phosphate sponge.

Strange thing the description of what PP does is VERY similar to Chemi-Clean, I wonder if there is a connection :)

John

6. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Oh shoot, I thought I got the link off this board. Now I can't find it. It might have been from Reef Central. Good thing I have a hard copy printed out at home. I'll pull the address and post it later.

7. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

http://netclub.athiel.com/cyano/cyanos2.htm

Here you go.

And here is how it is supposed to work:

..."It is a strong oxidizer and will break organic material down, allowing the skimmer to remove it in an easier fashion (when using it you will see that the color of what the skimmer takes out changes)."...

The stuff is very cheap on Ebay so I went and ordered a pound for $10+$5 shipping just in case the infestation gets worse. It's a lifetime supply! At full dose, a teaspoon treats 600 gal. I don't plan on ever getting anywhere close to that if I use it. I've been skimming like mad (3-5 gal a day) and I'm hitting the tank with 50 turbos and 50 bluelegs tomorrow.

So, waddya think? Is Bruce crazy for trying this? ::)

Later ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Is this stuff reef safe and safe for macro algae?

10. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

I got it. after reading the effects IMO this will also potentially kill off nitrifying bacteria. If I use it, (Monday at the earliest) I'll want to rig a bypass for the balls in my w/d. I'm also a little concerned about the LR.

Raven, I can't find any direct info on if it will kill the Macro Algae. I'd be careful. The article does say it's OK for reef, but...

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted. I may try a VERY low dosage treatment program next week and watch the nitrate nitrite levels. This could work well, but the penilty for failure is big.

11. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I did some research and kent marine sells a similar product with potassium permanganate. You might want to email their tech support and get some more info on how safe this stuff is for live rock and bacteria.

12. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam