Pot scrubbies bio filter

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by rossco838, Oct 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rossco838

rossco838 Astrea Snail

I have a 90 gallon currently running with a 30 gallon sump that is going to be moved to a 220. The sump has bio balls currently in it and about 90 lbs of live rock. I want to add about 16 pot scrubbies to help with more bio filter for the move as the rest of the rock I have will be dead rock. My question is how long will the scrubbies take to be established. Eventually the bio balls and the pot scrubbies will be removed they are just to help get the new tank established

2. Click Here!

3. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I wouldn't use pot scrubbers,many of them have added antibacterials,anti fungals/mold inhibitors in them which would defeat the purpose..

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

+1 I would not feel safe with this either.

5. rossco838

rossco838 Astrea Snail

Really I know freshwater guys use these in their diy wet dry filters.. They are made out of plastic not a sponge material

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I do not know enough about using pot scrubbers to say yay or nay.

Why not just buy some cheaper aquarium sponge or floss and let it seed. I imagine you could find it at Walmart, Petco, Petsmart......

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Well IMO there is no need to increase your bio filtration.As long as your bio load does not increase (meaning you don't add any more livestock) and you are transferring everything over.The added water volume will not increase your bioload.;) As you increase your bioload in the new tank bacteria colonies will form on the dead rock.Bacteria is limited by the food available.Increasing the ammount of space for it to grow will not increase the bacteria population.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. rossco838

rossco838 Astrea Snail

Ya that does make sense.. The load will not be increasing anytime in the near future

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I would just limit your feeding for the first few weeks and keep an eye on your parameters in case you kill off some colonies but you should be fine.Good luck.

11. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

I service a 150 gallon cichlid tank that uses pot scrubbers in the trickle filter. They do work pretty well but you have to make sure you get the ones without any soap already on them. Usually the cheapest ones from the dollar store will work. It would take a few weeks for the bacteria to colonize on them.

12. rossco838

rossco838 Astrea Snail

Yeah the feeding will be limited for a few weeks I'm thinking every other day.. And yeah the scrubbers I got were from the dollar store I got 16 for under 5 bucks