Possibly in the market for RO/DI but...

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mario8402, Apr 19, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. newton27

newton27 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I bought the reefkeeper and have never been happier.

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Im also in the market for an Ro/Di or Ro system and i was wondering if anyone knows of a very cost effective yet effective stystem....i was thinking of a kent bare bones cause its not expensive and im on quite a budget considering im 14 and only mow lawns for an income;D

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  5. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

cool. how long have you had this setup for?
    Is it preferable to buy from a vendor site, or a "name" brand as opposed to Ebay, or does it really matter???

6. cuttingras

I installed the system on May 24th of this year with minor mods made to the way it's hooked up to my fresh water supply. Not sure if it's working correctly or if the tds meter I just got needs calibrating... I bought mine from that guy on ebay that I posted the link for. The price was right, but now I'm finding out they don't respond to emails as quickly as I think they should and there isn't much info on the net about this filter, so.. I'm kinda undecided as to buying from ebay vs. vendor sites. I figure this one is better than tap water so I got it.

7. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

interesting.. that is one reason why I would be hestitant to buy on ebay, no support.. what about filters and stuff? can you get them from somewhere else even though you bought a different unit?

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

I can get the filters from the same store on ebay, but I can also get them other places online. Just seems ebay is cheaper....yeah I know cheaper isn't always better...I say that myself!:-/

10. the_h2o_guru

the_h2o_guru 3reef Sponsor

11. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

Ok, so I ended up going with the ebay version w/ tank and stuff. Pretty cool setup for the price...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bought a TDS meter also
    [​IMG]

I tested the tap water and it comes up around ~127ppm
    Waste water from RO/DI unit was ~>300ppm
    RO water is reading ~20ppm
    RO/DI water is reading 0ppm

Is it normal for the RO portion to have a higher reading? I thought it was supposed to be at 0ppm too?? I still need to run a few batches through the tank, but this has been with about 2 full tanks run through and emptied.. any insight?

12. the_h2o_guru

the_h2o_guru 3reef Sponsor

RO water is supposed to be higher than the DI water. This is because the membrane has a rejection rate between 95-99%. It's not 100%, so it cannot reduce the TDS completely down to -0-ppm. The DI mops up any of the ions that are missed by the membrane which reduces the TDS down to -0-ppm.