Possible ICH!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by NinjaGirl, Jul 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sotoquatic

Sotoquatic Plankton

My three large blue tangs have been rubbing on rocks and i know for sure that they got ICH. They were introduced to my 120 tank about 2 weeks ago and were doing fine until now. I have a yellow mimic tang, sail fin tang, two nemos, an engineer goby, and 2 sally light foot crabs. i also have coral. my question is, is there any other kind of fish food besides pellets that have garlic? I want to feed them food with more garlic. i also have been adding some soft corals these past couple of days.

2. Click Here!

3. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

You can purchase Garlic extract. It's a liquid garlic in a bottle. You can soak your food prior to feeding. This should be available at any local store.

4. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

+1 on the dip method. I had ICH issues when I first started my tank a few years ago and I actually had a quarantine tank set up so it was easier for me. DO NOT put medicine in your main system because not all the inhabitants need medicated. If you do not have the supplies to start a QT use the dip method suggested above. Just take some tank water in a bucket, add medicine making sure to measure properly to the specification on the bottle. Dip the fish for about 15 sec. or so. Then dip in clean water before adding back to tank.

5. Sotoquatic

Sotoquatic Plankton

thanks for the advice, I'm going to do a water change on thursday to see if that helps, i don't know why they are stressed. hopefully my maintenance guy can help, i'm a newbie.

6. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

I seriously doubt that a water change is going to help at all. You should have used a quarantine tank, and kept the new additions in their for at least 4 weeks before adding them to the display tank to be sure they were healthy.

Since they are already in the DT, you should set up a QT tank ASAP and put all your Tangs in it. And any other fish that's showing signs of Ich. Get some Formalin and treat the fish in the QT tank with it. That would be what I would do. If you keep everyone in the DT, I think you could be in for a full tank wipe-out of all your fish.

7. rogersjw

rogersjw Skunk Shrimp

If there is ich in the tank, there is ich in the tank. Moving the tangs at this point probably wouldn't help. If they seem to be stressed already, a tank change would probably make it worse. I'd try good food and a little tlc :) when my angel had flukes I upped the feeding (making sure it was all eaten every time) and soaked in garlic and GHV. He battled through it. I'm sure it's still in my tank, probably along with ich, but the guys are hardy and healthy and seem to be able to battle through it now.