Possible hitchhiker

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Kat650, Dec 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kat650

Kat650 Plankton

So i took your guys advice and removed the rock and fish..im using crushed coral do i need to remove that also, or should i keep..not really cheap?

2. Click Here!

3. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

You should remove the crushed coral jsut because its a very poor choice of substrate.

Crushed coral is too large where it does not allow detrification to occur because there oxygen can get to all depths of the substrate and there are no anaerobic zones which is where nitrate is broken down. It is also a detritus trap that will accumulate uneaten food and fish waste causing a longterm buildup of nitrates, phosphates, and other garbage.
    Also if you want to keep gobies or any creatures that live on or in the sand such as jawfish, wrasses or gobies, it is much to harsh on them and will cause injury.

There are 2 ways to create a good sandbed, either using the bare bottomed route where you use nothing at all and allow good flow to keep all particle suspended for filtration to remove, or some sort of sand. I prefer sand, but would suggest not using a sugarsized sand as they tend to blow all over and cause a mess.

4. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

May not be the end to the world but it is definitly the end to some reef tanks and coral colonies!!