Possible Frag Tank?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by JJL, Sep 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

I am looking to create a zoa frag tank. I want to make one of those racks made with the plastic grates. I forgot who made it, but someone made one with different levels like stairs and it was awesome. If someone could give me a link to that thread that would be great!
    Now back to the setup.
    What do you think about this?
    Eco Pico Ecoxotic 5 gallon tank standard lights
    Add on Par 30 BoostLED with clip
    Standard filter that comes with ecopico.
    I have not figured out what to use for flow yet.

Another option I have is this:
    Use a 10 gallon sitting in my garage-Already have stand
    Get 1 BoostLED Par 30: Would this be enough for an SPS 10 gallon?
    Not sure on what filter or powerhead.
    No skimmer<<<<<Could I do this?

Then yellowtail damsel in both options

Which do you think is best?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

If you are starting out in SPS, these small tanks may not hold important parameters stable enough for more delicate species. They would suck up calcium and other trace elements in a heartbeat. The light would be fine though.

4. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Ok thanks for the info. Would a 10 gallon do it with good dosing and water changes? Im not looking to keep the hardest of the hardest, but just acros and stuff.

5. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

I too have a 10 gal sitting in the garage, and have contemplated turning it into a small SPS frag tank. My thoughts out loud:

Not sure one PAR30 light spread would cover the whole tank, most likely need two, unless you just keep corals under the one light.

I would go skimmerless and possibly HOB filterless as well. One nano fish max.

Two nano koralias would probably suffice.

Barebottom, with eggcrate elevated off the bottom. Maybe some small pieces of LR thrown in for the bacteria colonies to chill.

Weekly or twice weekly 20-30% waterchanges, using water from my 90gal. The 90s params are fine for SPS, and the water still quite clean. Once or twice weekly would depend on how fast parameters are swinging. I personally wouldnt try dosing on such a small tank.

Largest hinderance for me right now is the lighting $$, and I suppose I'd have to buy some frags. ;D

If you do it, keep us posted, I'm VERY interested.

6. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Could I do a Zoa Frag tank with 1 boostLED par30 on a 10 gallon? Would I need a filter or a skimmer for a zoa frag tank or would water changes be enough?

7. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Can someone find the thread with the frag tank set up where someone had like stairs made of egg crates. It was reaally cool. Would a par30 give me dark spots in the tank even if I put it higher up on the tank? I wouldnt want to burn the zoas anyway.

8. Click Here!

9. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

This is my plan so far:
    BoostLED Reef Lamp Kit 4 blue 1 cool white with 60 Degree optics on my ten gallon. BB tank with a yellow tail damsel, eggcrates to hold frags (Stack them like stairs. Any ideas on how I can connect eggcrates?
    How does this sound for a zoa frag tank? Enough light? I should get more spread with 60 degree optics, correct?

10. AcroholicReefer

AcroholicReefer Astrea Snail

I used pvc to create a "structure" and then egg crate to lay flat down. Zip tied those down and that is the main part of it.

Here are some pictures of my frag tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Thats awesome. That is what im trying to do ^^^^ with the egg crate, but do te zip ties hold it in place nicely? Is there any way to do it without the PVC? Since a 10 Gallon is so small I want to save as much space as possible.

12. AcroholicReefer

AcroholicReefer Astrea Snail

You can get away with that by just using pvc for the legs. The only problem is going to be making it stable enough to keep it from tipping over.

Yeah, the zip ties are critical. I made the mistake the first time by not using zip ties, thinking that the plug would just hold it down. Eventually my tang kept knocking the egg crate down when it wanted to pick at the algae growing on it.