Positive algae ID required , please

Discussion in 'Algae' started by tripnbili, Jun 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Those pictures are much better, I think picture #6 best shows, in detail, what you have. I still do not know of a certain ID, aside from being some form of GHA. Manually remove, as mentioned above. Get all the rock you can and scrub it with a toothbrush. Then you should notice a good reading on your nitrates, phos. Use carbon, nitrate sponge, phos sponge to remove this.

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Looks like your every day run of the mill Hair Algae to me, you should be able to win your battle rather quickly with what you are doing.

Bryopsis has more of a feather look and is tougher to battle. You are in the absolute best position to me your ID, just google "Bryopsis algae" in image search and you will have your answer. Bottom line is that Bryopsis is hair algae - so you are on the right path. My main point was to do battle with conventional methods as described above and not do anything drastic such as seriously elevated magnesium.

I think you will be ok, follow the advice above and you will do well. Good luck.

4. tripnbili

tripnbili Feather Duster

Thank you, I will post results so someone else may be able to use this thread in the future....

5. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

regular old hair algae. to get a better id that that you will need a microscope, there is no real defining characteristics of those species you would be able to see just from an even really close shot like you have. you would need cell structure. mag won't hurt though, check to see if your light bubls are old, nutrients reduction + removal = clean tank. Lots of ways to do both nutrient reduction and removal...I bet you can find more info that you would need. Just a tip though, have the fish net ready to catch the stray stuff when you start pulling it out

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

put your alk in the upper ranges of NSW and get john to send you a couple of chitons. I got an emerald crab to eat mine but he only ate the tinyist bit of bryopsis i had on a couple of frags... not that im complaining ;-)

7. tripnbili

tripnbili Feather Duster

Thanks John! I already manually removed most of it, as it happened to be on small rocks and frag mounts...heavy carbon, poly filter, water changes, and feeding cut back to every other day....it quit spreading after just carbon and a poly filter....hopefully it will recede soon...

Oh, and all bulbs are a month old