Positive algae ID required , please

Discussion in 'Algae' started by tripnbili, Jun 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

http://www.3reef.com/forums/algae/bryopsis-control-51891.html

you might want to read through this account of a battle with Bryopsis
    if its proven thats what it is ( I have dodgy eyesight at the best of times)

get some macro images up focused on a small area , and then post for a better ID in the Algae section

Steve

2. Click Here!

3. tripnbili

tripnbili Feather Duster

Maybe these will help?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. tripnbili

tripnbili Feather Duster

Anybody? I would like to treat this ASAP before it goes way overboard...

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Pull out what ever is in the tank right away, cut back on feeding, add carbon to the tank and change it every 2 weeks, add GFO to get the phosphates out. Cutting back on your light period might help until you get it under control.

6. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like bryopsis to me.

Get some some snails and blue legs in there first, and if they won't eat it you might have bryopsis.

my $.02

7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I think it looks a bit more like GHA or a similar to that.

8. Click Here!

9. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

+1 too hard to see any detail on it other than it is a type of green hair algae.

10. tripnbili

tripnbili Feather Duster

Thank you everyone...the pics don't do much, I know....it's hard to get a clear picture...I just got the camera, so I'll have to play with the settings....

I will heed all advice and post results.

Thanks again!

11. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

It’s a shame you can’t take a macro shot of the algae – but for my money (and betting on pic # 4 above) you have hair algae.

As suggested your testing at zero since you have so much of this in your tank – it basically is consuming the phosphates/nitrates at the same rate of production.

More than likely you will be able to confirm this yourself. Get into the tank and start to yank it all out – clean it up best you can.

Using RO/DI do weekly water changes. Use a phosphate sponge (rowaphos or the like) a nitrate sponge and go easy on the feedings – doing this and you should be ok.

Now with this being said – Steve (who btw is generally spot on) mentioned Bryopsis which is a form of hair algae, I would not recommend jacking your MG 2+ fold absent of a positive ID or at least failure to the method described above.

I *think*, and perhaps someone with more experience can confirm – Bryopsis is preceded by bubbles forming on the walls and rocks – these bubbles burst and seed the algae?

Back to above, once you pull everything manually you can continue to check for phosphates and nitrates, absent of the algae you scrubbed manually you may see a spike.

12. tripnbili

tripnbili Feather Duster

Here are some better pictures, after playing with the settings I was able to change things up a bit.

Also, I pulled the frags off the rack (the rack was infested) and removed the rack. I've also been hand placing hermits and turbos on affected areas. No food at all today...and water change.

A new poly-filter and carbon...

Anything else? And these pics help with a positive ID?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]