porite lighting?????HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by TomZoo, Aug 18, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TomZoo

TomZoo Plankton

Hello all,

I just bought a piece of porite with about 25 heads on it looks awsome but i made a mistake (i think?). I dident do any reserch before i bought it, now that i have i think i have a problem.... my tank is a 40 breeder tank and i only have a 36" pc 110watt with 2 50/50 bulbs and a 24" pc 130watt with 1 10k bulb and one 65k acintic bulb. Now am i in trouble or will the porite survive? And what can i do to give it a chance? Thanks in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You've got plenty of light for the coral. No worries :)

4. TomZoo

TomZoo Plankton

really??? all the sites i have looked at say they need mh lighting? are the lights i have close or even comprable to mh's.

5. TomZoo

TomZoo Plankton

I also have a spare 10k 65watt bulb that i could put in place of the 65k acintic, would this help?

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You don't "need" metal halides to keep certain sps corals like montipora and porite. They will color up better under MH but you can still keep them under your current lighting and they will do just fine. Just place them at the top of the tank as close to the lights as you can get them.

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I've heard porites, especially the "christmas tree" coral are very difficult to keep. MH is a must for some SPS, a must. They are that light intensive.

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I was able to keep a yellow porite coral in a 90 gallon under 440 watts of VHO lighting for several years before selling the coral. The original poster has a ton of light over a small tank. I still think that his lighting is sufficient to keep this coral.

10. TomZoo

TomZoo Plankton

Ok well i think im going to give it a shot and at the first signs of faliure i see ill just take it to my lfs and get credit. but while i am attempting this should i use the 10k in place of the acintic?

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Porites need good flow, and good light. I've kept them under conditions such as yours, you should be fine. Got a pic?

12. TomZoo

TomZoo Plankton

i dont have pics as of yet i need to get a good digital camera but im hoping to get one soon