Poor mans Full Spectrum, dimmable 120W LED light- review

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Todd_Sails, Nov 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I started with only 2 over my 6 ft tank. Those were 120degree lenses though.
    YOu could easily do 2 over your 5ft tank with 120degree lenses I would think.

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Whoa, just saw this thread again, and noticed the stand build in your avatar! That is not realy how to build/support a tank. The frame under the outer tank whould be on top on the 4x4's, not attached to it.
    Are you using the frame/stand like that? I'll pm this too

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Whoa, just saw this thread again, and noticed the stand build in your avatar! That is not realy how to build/support a tank. The frame under the outer tank whould be on top on the 4x4's, not attached to it.
    Are you using the frame/stand like that? I'll pm this too

5. floydie83

floydie83 Flamingo Tongue

Yeah...that is a bad bad idea. Not to say it can't work, but you would want yo use bolts in that case and not screws. You shouldn't rely solely on the shear capacity of those screws. Its asking for trouble.

6. floydie83

floydie83 Flamingo Tongue

Yeah...that is a bad bad idea. Not to say it can't work, but you would want to use bolts in that case and not screws. You shouldn't rely solely on the shear capacity of those screws. Its asking for trouble.

7. razataz

razataz Bristle Worm

do the 90 degree lenes come off of the evergrow lights The ones on ebay had 90 degree on them

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I think so, never did it.
    But looking at them and I've read that the LED's are basically 120degrees optics, and then a lense is put on them to make them 90, 60, etc.
    I think you can take it apart and remove the lenses under the splash guard layer, and reinstall it.
    Maybe someone who has done it will chime in, as I haven't.

Also, you might just wat to try the 90's at at least a foot off the tank and see how it works first.

These lights have plenty of power usually, and can go way up off the tank and still get good penetration.

Currently, I'm at about 70% bluer channel, 30% whiter channel, and getting nearly 400 PAR at 8-9" depth.
    Yes, I currently have the meter to verify this.
    Just measred too- my lights are 11" off ther surface of my 180- which is 24" tall.

10. razataz

razataz Bristle Worm

hopefully some will chime in that knows if they are removable thanks Todd

11. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Mine is made with nothing more than 3/4" plywood. no 2 x 6's, 2 x 4's or any other lumber. It's been holding strong for 12 years. I'm sure his will hold.

Your lights are doing awesome on your tank. No issues with them?