Poor mans Full Spectrum, dimmable 120W LED light- review

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Todd_Sails, Nov 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

Well, I was able to contact the seller I bought the first fixture from, and they matched the original price. This might work for some of you guys looking to get the same fixture. Apparently the reason for the price increase is because the stores selling them are running extremely low on stock. I guess even they have a supply and demand based pricing :-(

2. Click Here!

3. vanzegg

vanzegg Plankton

Hey Todd I have a question for you.I have a 150g 72 long 24 wide 20 tall fish only aquarium. Do you think 2 of these units would cover the tank well enough?

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Will it always be fish only? These lights have the 90degree lense.

My old blue/white/non dimmable's had the 120 degree lense, and covered much better, albeit at a lower PAR (power).

If you plan to have corals, I'd get 3 of them and put them at least 12" off the water- maybe even higher. Turn them up, they are plenty powerful.

You do know that FO can use just about any lighting, right?

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

UPdate- Observation!

When I had my previous Blue/white/ 120degree lense on the tank and the sun would thru through my southernmost family room windows as it does in the winter time (sun low in southern sky), and shine right in my DT- The sun would be WAY brighter and more color than my LED lights!

nBut I noticed today, the sum shining thru into the DT while my newer lights were on, and only on bluer channel 80%, whiter channel 50%, that I couldn't really see the sunlit difference! I even stood in front of the sunlight, and it really made no difference! At these settings!

My corals' color is really coming alive now, and I"m getting all kinds of crazy new growth!

I don't sell them, just an observation!

6. KcLive

KcLive Plankton

I purchased the Evergrow IT2040 light as well. Coming from metal halide I wasn't sure how I would like the light. I have to say, I am very impressed. Less heat, less energy consumption, and the corals seem to like it.

Todd, your tank looks amazing! I only hope that one day my tank will look half as good as yours.

7. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Damn man very nice stuff. You should be a salesman for them.. you got me all jazed up to get new lights..

Good Stuff Todd tanks looks awesome.

8. Click Here!

9. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

PS since you made me look there is a small sale going on. Those prices are pretty damn good compared to what I have seen for other.

EverGrow IT2040 - Reef Radiance

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Thanks for the kind words.
    I am really impressed with these lights- better color, new growth, etc.
    I'm, really bummed they hiked the price, and rfeally glad I got them so cheap.

I now have them at bluer channel 80%, whiter channel 45%
    Even at those settings, you can't tell when the sunlight is hitting the front pane of the DT anymore. With my previous LED's- it was like night and day!
    I'm still tweaking the dimmers.

11. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Could I get away with running one of these fixtures over my 36" tank? Its a 55h so its 36" wide not the standard 48".

12. jborlace

jborlace Purple Spiny Lobster

I'm running one over my 40 breeder which is 36" long. It covers the tank fine in my opinion. Have both channels at 50%. About a foot over the water.