Poor mans Full Spectrum, dimmable 120W LED light- review

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Todd_Sails, Nov 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

Looks really good! Such a huge difference compared to the photos on page one.

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Thanks FB,
    With as many pics as I post, I'll pretend that wasn't sarcasm! ;-)

Thanks for noticing, if I see that difference, it may just have been b/c I bought new lights. I'll take you word for it, I think so too.

Trouble now is, where to put each channels dimmers which gives it a different look too.

Todays FTS-

[​IMG]

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Looks really nice Todd! I'm glad you can figure out the lighting - it looks very nice in all of the pictures :)

5. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Looks great bud. As you might know I just switched to 3 of the dimmable full spectrums on almost the same size tank and I'm more than pleased.
    Your tank looks awesome!

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I now have my lights at:
    80% the bluer channel
    50% the other channel

With the 90degree lenses, it seems to have much more intensity, and I don't want to start frying anything, so I'm using these settings and so far- - - So good.

I really like the fuller spectrum, and I'm hoping I'll start seeing even better growth than my 2 color/no dimmer LED's.

As far as side spread though, there IS a BIG difference between my former 120's, and my current 90 degree lenses. The 90 being much more narrow.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I changed the title to 'Poor Mans Full Spectrum' 'cause I'm thinking/hoping these lights sort of approximate slightly by performance/color spectrums those Brand name lights- you know the ones. 'Cept these lights cost WAY less.
    No, these lights don't do thunderstorms, cloud passes, or slow sun ups/downs.

But they do really work well, and I'm basically comparing them to my previous LED's also.

I am definitely seeing:
    More branching and growth
    More/different colors
    Brighter/fuller colors

on my coral, especially my sps

then I did with my former 2 color only, no dimming, 120degree LED's.

I now have them on 80% Bluer channel; 50% Whiter channel

I can objectively SEE the difference in those things mentioned above.

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I Also noticed a slight difference between my lights!

I first got one of them off Ebay- marketed by the Evergrow company.

Then, using an Amazon Giftcard, I paid about $6 more per light/shipping and got 2 more of what I thought was the exact same light.
    It was marketed by a different company. The both report Cree/Bridgelux, etc.

They look the same on the outside, EXACTLY the same on the outside- even the sticker showing which lights/colors are on which channel.
    They all have the same # and types of LED's on each channel, etc. They are also placed in the same exact array/place on the board, etc.

BUT- The bluer/whiter channels are reversed on the Evergorw's vs. the others.

AND- maybe a bigger difference-
    When the timer kicks the lights on, the bluer channel first-
    The Evergrow pop right on to where you had the dimmer switch,
    While the others bought off Amazon have a gradual power up of about 2 seconds!

I think this is to further preserve the LED's life?

So, at least some of the internal parts ARE different!

They both look about the same pwerwise/dimmer wise.

Overall- VERY happy with them over my 120degree blue/white onlys, that are now in a box, and will be going over my frag secton/chaeto when my current 125 is converted to my basement sump.

The real test would be- in the same tank/water, side by side:
    Grow the same approximate sized frags, off the same colony, in the same water:
    one side the poormans full spectrum-
    the other side the Radion Pro-

and see what happens!

Since no-one is donating a Radion Pro to me- I'll just have to keep dreaming up these great, verifiable experiments.

10. Flying Turkey

Flying Turkey Astrea Snail

Quick question for everyone. Would the Evergrow Dimmable Full Spectrum D120 120W LED be a good choice for a JBJ rimless 30g?

11. Rob&Gab

Rob&Gab Astrea Snail

those were our first lights we owned. There amazing. well was amazing, we now have the evergrow IT2040s. There really good, the Tao-tronics the growth and color from the corals was really good we bought them a year and some od ago off amazon for like 500$ for the pair. The price has gone down allllot. But thats fine it happens in this type of market. Awesome setup btw.

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Short answer- YES; Long ansser, you'll be dimming them unless they are way up and corals are low/deep.

Thanks for the compliment :)