Poor lobsters @ Grocery stores :(

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by luvreefs23, May 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

living where I live if its edible, it gets eaten, some cultures at some times cant be selective about food stuffs. there may be vegetarians or vegans but in the main the people who are not eating lobster are simply the people who would not spend money on such luxuries

Lobster in cheese sauce over a bed of noodles is excellent food and if that is served at a banquet you have been invited to, then you are being told "you are important"

when I was getting married almost 10 years ago now , My new wife put the head of the boiled chicken on my plate at the wedding dinner and one of the feet

my choices where

reject them as I dont eat those parts of the animals, offend my wife and her family by indicating the food they prepared for me where unsuitable

or

shut up and get it ate

I took option 2 , Im sure you have all worked out
    Steve

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

"Ah, and for dessert...chilled monkey brains." :D

4. JakeDog

JakeDog Plankton

If you want to be humane, AND eat them, a Food Network host says to put them in the freezer for 20 min or so before you boil them. Aparently it acts as anesthesia. They have no idea what hits them before they are toast. They are barely moving when retrieved from the freezer. Of course put them in head first to get it over with ASAP. My wife won't watch but she'll eat them. The afforementioned Food Network host called them sea bugs. I call them tasty!

5. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

LOL Steve im hearing ya, I spent a little time in China and I was amazed at the variety of food that is common cuisine ( baby duck tongues )I was shoked to see this but they sure were tasty:)
    I have eaten many many weird things in my travels dugon , fruit bats, beatles, witchetty grubs, maggets you name it , well alot of strange stuff anyway ,but how can you truly judge somthink if you havent given it a go

As for the original post (which is old as anyways)
    food is food!, it was meant to be eaten or GOD would have made it faster!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

:eek::-X

I'm not sure I could manage to eat a foot and head of a chicken. k+ to you and congrats on your marriage ... you're a stronger dude than me. There's no way I could eat that.

1 person likes this.
  7. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

Can invertebrates feel pain as we do anyways? Clearly they have some type of physical sensory tissues akin to nerves, but do their brains process "pain" or simply trigger a fight or flight response based on their instinct?

Humane means it makes silly hippies feel better about themselves, has nothing to do with the lobster.

I can't eat shellfish anymore, allergic, but when I could I loved shrimp. Lobster is very hard to prepare properly, but can be good if done right. Oddly enough I can still eat crab, but that's one I rarely eat since I met some crabbers.

Back to the OP, those lobsters in tanks at grocery stores and seafood restaurants are horrible. Most lobsters (and crabs) in holding tanks for more than a few days (including the ships tanks) will contract parasites and fungal infections that destroy their meaty tissues. You might see a huge lobster in a tank at Dread Robster and think "wow, I want that 8 pounder on my plate" and you'll pay a premium for it, and you'll get way less meat than you'd think, and it will be rubbery and nasty - but the meat from the frozen lobster will be MUCH better, fresher tasting, and cheaper. Unless you live very near a lobster fishery and can get wild caught lobsters within 48 hours of catch you should just get the frozen stuff, you mouth, stomach, and local humanitarians will thank you.

and I'll end with a funny picture from ages ago:

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. bama

bama Humpback Whale

Salad is what food eats.. Eat beef..