Poor little Choc Chip Starfish

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by SAW39, Apr 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Status report after returning from a 2-day business trip: The Sea Star is no worse, and may have slight improvement in the legs that had less damage. In the meantime, I think the Iodine has encouraged a bloom of green hair algae. Yuk!

2. Click Here!

3. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

sorry to hear about the hair algae but on a brighter note, i'm glad to hear there is a slight turn around on the well being of your starfish (i was just joking about the harlequin...).

4. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

The End

Some sad news. Cookie, the Chocolate Chip sea star has disappeared, and I fear the worst. :(
    We can find no trace, so I'm afraid the clean-up crew has done it job.

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Sorry to hear, hope you fing him. :(

6. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

I bought a new Chocolate Chip Sea Star today ($9.95). He's bigger than the last one, and looks like he's in good health. He's already chowing down on a piece of shrimp that I gave him.

7. My2heartboys

My2heartboys Fire Worm

I would STRONGLY recommend against adding harlequin shrimp to any aquarium as these are one of the main predators of the coral eating seastar (crown of thorns), which is responsible for wiping out a significant part of our reefs.

Because this is a complicated issue, it is not wholly responsible, but man is responsible for creating the conditions that allow this destructive seastar to multiply in record breaking numbers. We are also responsible for the depletion in numbers of it's few predators.

OK, will get off my soapbox now.

Anne

8. Click Here!

9. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Anne,
    It was a joke. Both Jonathan and I know that Harlequin shrimp eat starfish.
    -- Steve