polyp mortalities

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by hottielover14, Jul 9, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Nearly there HL14.

Thanks for splitting up your questions, it really does help others focus on what you are asking. Now for the final step. All you have to do is post them in the correct forum(s) and you will get heaps of answers, I'm sure :)

Cheers

John

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Flame scallops have very high failure rates in captivity. Don't waste your money.

4. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

my local fish store has them and they have had theres a lond time. Why is theres living. what makes them so hard to keep, craig.

5. Craig Manoukian

I have no specific idea other than the lack of food or water quality

6. hottielover14

i've looked on other websites on the internet and they all pretty much such "don't buy it" because it's so hard. I like them though. They all say that the usual cause is the lack of food. I don't see how, cant you just turn off your pumps and just spot feed it.

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Hey HL14,

If only life was that simple :)

I think some of the problem is that they are filter feeders on single celled algae. Algae of this size occurs naturally in a mature tank, but because of filtering etc, never at a rate that ensures that the scallop gets enough to eat. Remember it is a filter feeder it's a bivalve shellfish. It is not like a fish that has eyes and can see food, it lives in places where there is an abundance of food already suspended in the water. If you were to create that sort of environment in your tank it would cause all sorts of problems.

John :)

10. Craig Manoukian

Keep us posted on your success. Sounds lik you've done your research. Are you sure they feed on phytoplankton or zoplankton?

11. hottielover14

i think phytoplankton. John O, yeah buy maybe i could just spot feed them and they might be fed enough. because everybody else that had them theres starved to death.

12. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

Personally, I think you may want to hold off on buying livestock and get some decent lighting on that tank. Raising ployps, xenia and a clam under an 18w fixture is really pushing your luck.