polyp mortalities

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by hottielover14, Jul 9, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i think i'll take my reds back and get blues but my fish store won't take them back. How big do the blues get. Do they do as good of a job w/ the cleaning as reds.

2. Click Here!

3. hottielover14

how long does it take for the polyps to grow back.

4. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

Why won't the LFS take them back? In my opininon the blues do just as good or better than the reds. The blues stay very small. Yellow polyps shouldn't take too long to grow back. They are pretty hardy. If your looking for somewhere to buy blue legs http://www.exoticfish.com has them for very good prices.

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Coral;num=1089417279;start=0#2 date=07/09/04 at 17:36:50]what do u mean by "I've been told thats its cue to crash in the wild."[/quote]

If the Xenia colonies in the wild didn't die back every year (higher heat= natures cue to die), they entire area would only be Xenia. Same thing happens with many macro algeas.

7. hottielover14

how many blues should i get for my 55 gal. So my Xenia and macroalgae will die every so often.

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Doesn't have to. I said "higher heat = natures cue to die back". How did you arrive to the conclusion it will die every so often? If you let your tank get to extreme temps, every thing will die ;)

Many things cause macro to die back/go asexual. lack of iron & other nutrients, heat, photoperiods and lighting are just a few factors.

I'm limitted on time right now, so I can't go into detail. Maybe someone else can chime in and complete this for me.

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I'll leave to blue leg question to others as I've advised you against them several times all ready.

11. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

Really and truly if it was me I would have maybe 5-10 hermits in a 55 and I would also get the smallest possible. With hermits you have to take the good with the bad. Why don't you just get rid of all hermits and go hermitless.

12. hottielover14

aren't they good sand stirrers and "cleaner uppers."