Poly-Fil Polyester

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Ryland, Sep 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Sizing is applied to fabric, clothing, sheets, pillows, and some types of fiber-fill. There's different types and sometimes formaldehyde is used which would be very bad to add to a reef tank. Luckily, the fiber-fill that has formaldehyde has a distinct smell.

2. Click Here!

3. Hydronaut

Hydronaut Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I've used it for years in my freshwater tanks. It is enough to give the ultra-clear "floating-in-air" look. However, I don't use any mechanical filtration in my reef tank besides a skimmer and have no issues with water clarity.

4. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

yeh, i think were talking about the same stuff. 200micron filter material, is $10 for a 1x5ft piece which should last you a yr. so its not that expensive.

5. philipjohn

philipjohn Plankton

Re:

Good post.Keep it up.Thanks a lot for sharing.

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I've been using to polly fiber for yrs on my FW-great stuff greater priced :) just make sure it's not the flame retardant type which is chemically treated.

7. bearrock

bearrock Astrea Snail

I use the exact same stuff in my freshwater Arowana tank. I have not run a saltwater setup since moving out of Fl and I could no longer catch my own stock......

Some one else with more saltwater experience can chime in here but why not switch to a filter sock? You can wash and re-use them and you can get them all the way down to a 1um size. I put a hand full of polyester filling in a .99 cent filter bag then put it into my filter sock then put my sump hose into both. When I want the REALLY clear water I put on my 1um sock and get that floating look within a couple hours.

The polyester filling you can also buy at walmart as pillow stuffing for 2.99 (a bag about the size of pillow)